Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Feral cat? Should I take it out? >

Feral cat? Should I take it out?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Feral cat? Should I take it out?

Old 12-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default Up to no good????

I wouldn't.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

If your not to keen on poppin off shots at kitty's I've heard of people around here catching them in live traps and dropping them off a few neighborhoods over but I've never done that either...
Old 12-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

BTW - As a lifetime hunter/outdoorsman, I have always tried to do the right things. I enjoy & respect all animals. As we know, they each have an important place in the environment. I also realize that certain species (both domesticated & wild) in the wrong places can have negative effects on the environment.
I can't argue with the statement above, But...
You are asking the wrong people.Some guys would shoot anything just because it has a beating heart. What does the LAW say about it? What if it is not a feral cat?
Old 12-05-2011, 04:20 AM
Fork Horn

Hard call...I personally wouldn't, I'd be too worried I was killing someone's pet, since I usually hunt in a fairly suburban area.

If you're 100% sure it's not someone's pet, take it out. But I still think I'd just keep it to myself, not worth the grief if it turns out it belongs to someone.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it's out in an area as described, then I would consider it feral and shoot it. If it's a person's pet then they should not be letting it out to roam whereever it pleases. This has always been a pet peeve of mine in that dogs require tags, shots, etc. and friggin cats are allowed to go wherever they please with no tags, shots, etc. If they aren't on their own property and are out killing wild creatures then they should be taken care of. The next time you see it I'll bet if you say: "Here kitty kitty" you will find that it's as wild as what you're hunting!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:11 AM
NEK
Fork Horn

Pretty good advice from Uncle Nicky - to keep quiet about it whatever you do.In some states, it's not legal to shoot cats, so I would check your laws to be sure. A while back, I read where a guy got a pretty stiff fine for killing a cat here in Vermont.
The issue of cats being allowed to run loose - either pets or feral - is a very touchy one, and people on both sides tend to have very strong opinions and these have led to some awful flame wars on different web sites.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
If it's out in an area as described, then I would consider it feral and shoot it. If it's a person's pet then they should not be letting it out to roam whereever it pleases. This has always been a pet peeve of mine in that dogs require tags, shots, etc. and friggin cats are allowed to go wherever they please with no tags, shots, etc. If they aren't on their own property and are out killing wild creatures then they should be taken care of. The next time you see it I'll bet if you say: "Here kitty kitty" you will find that it's as wild as what you're hunting!
Yea... when it seen me it just froze and stared at me not even moving. Like if it didn't move then I couldn't see it....lol. I haven't seen it for a couple weeks. Maybe it moved on or someone else got it. Hopefully I won't see it again....
Old 12-05-2011, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NEK
Pretty good advice from Uncle Nicky - to keep quiet about it whatever you do.In some states, it's not legal to shoot cats, so I would check your laws to be sure. A while back, I read where a guy got a pretty stiff fine for killing a cat here in Vermont.
The issue of cats being allowed to run loose - either pets or feral - is a very touchy one, and people on both sides tend to have very strong opinions and these have led to some awful flame wars on different web sites.

I will just leave it alone for now.... I haven't seen it in a couple weeks anyways. Don't want to start anything on the boards. I can remember when I was a kid and the farm next door had about 30 barn cats running around. I kjnow hunt a different part of the county. But to this day there are still wild cats out there that are decendants of those ones from when I was a kid, and that was over 30 years ago.... I was just curious. As fare as Im concerned we can now end this thread. Don't want to start any trouble.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coyotes LOVE cats. Maybe your furry friend got itself adopted, maybe it was nature's law of fang & claw, maybe it found a decent winter food source.

If you see it again in the spring....it's up to you. Nobody will notice one less feral cat.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Fork Horn

They got some tasty backstraps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.