Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New Turkey Hunter

Old 11-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Turkey Hunter

I have been hunting deer the past few years now and would like to start hunting turkey this spring. What gauge shotgun do you recommend? Ammo, etc.... Or any other pointers you have?
Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

As for the shotgun to use. I say use what your comfortable with. I shoot a 12ga Mossberg 500 with a factory xx full turkey choke. As for shells I shoot Federals 3in magnum 5 shot 2oz load. But there are so many different guns and ammo, choke tubes to choose from. Its whatever shoots the tightest pattern. On the site forum you will find very knowledgeable turkey hunters with great advice. Check out the entire forum and its archives for great advise. If you need to know anything just ask.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Arrowmaster is right - for every hunter on here, they'll have a different suggestion for gun/choke/ammo! LOL It really depends on what works best for you.

I use a Rem 12 ga Super Mag w/ a Rhino choke & I've done best w/ a Winchester Supreme ammo. (3" - 5 Shot)

Definitely check out the archives, there's tons of info there. Good luck & let us know if you have questions or what you end up choosing!

Kim
Old 11-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Spike

man you have gotten some pretty sound advice so far. there are plenty of exceptional guns and loads but what you really need to focus in on is not the gear but your calling and your turkey knowledge. be proficient with as many types of calls as possible from the diaphragm, to the box to the slate, glass or aluminum calls. I personally love a wingbone as a locator call along with my my owl and crow calls. turkeys have exceptional eyesight so always make sure your covered from head to toe and always try and find a place to set up where you wont be silhouetted by the sun. Practice practice practice with your calls and have fun man, turkey hunting is a blast!
Old 11-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Spike

I used one of my duck guns(Mossberg 500) this fall season, and I can tell you that I'll definitely be getting something with a shorter barrel. Moving through the brush/woods with a 28" barrel was interesting... LOL
Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 AM
Typical Buck

Watch videos and listen to them call, then try to imitate what they do. Sometimes they will explain why they use a certain call, try it and see if it works for you. As for a shotgun shoot something you are comfortable shooting. No need to go and buy a $1000 gun for turkeys, it only takes 1 pellet to the head. Myself I shoot a mossberg 835 ultra mag with 3 1/2 shells. Do I need them? Probably not but if my gun chambered 4 inch shells I would shoot them too. Practice your calling and don't be overwhelmed with all the different calls, find one that is easy for you to use not what the pro's use.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 PM
Spike

Default Re:

Thanks for sharing the information.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Spike

have been hunting deer the past few years now and would like to start hunting turkey this spring. What gauge shotgun do you recommend? Ammo, etc.... Or any other pointers you have?

Last edited by JW; 12-01-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: wedding dress illegal adds
Old 12-17-2011, 10:00 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by K Williams
I used one of my duck guns(Mossberg 500) this fall season, and I can tell you that I'll definitely be getting something with a shorter barrel. Moving through the brush/woods with a 28" barrel was interesting... LOL
My goose gun has a 32" i think it was made for anti-aircraft
Old 12-18-2011, 05:31 AM
Spike

Like you Cal, I have been deer hunting forever, got the Turkey bug last year and was fotunate (or lucky lol!) enough to call in a nice gobbler. I pull the slug barrel off my Mossberg 500, and used my 28" vent rib barrel with the Full Choke tube, wrapped it with camo no-mar tape, loaded with 3" #5 HV Winchester loads. Having hunted small game/upland birds with this combo for 20+ years I felt very confident that she'd drop a gobbler if a clean shot presented itself. Definitly not the ideal set-up, but got the job done. Will use the same thing again this year, but long term plans include a shorter (20-24") barrel and hi-visibilty sights. Practiced with and used several mouth calls, a slate call and plunger type box call.

Best of luck and welcome to the addiction.
Pat

Last edited by Divenut2; 12-18-2011 at 05:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.