Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Slate Call Poll

Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Slate Call Poll

What is the best custom slate call you've ever laid a striker to, and why?.......I'm talking looks, sound, and overall quality. What's the best custom call money can buy?

What about the best commercial slate call you've ever used, and why?
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

SS how ya doin my friend. OK I have a Cody Slate that is just awesome. Looks good and sounds great. But I also have an awesome Fire and Iced call by my friend Eric that sounds just as good and to be honest better looking. Just so ya know SS the Blue reed mouth call ya sent me did get a kill this year. Sweet. I might need another one, I used it a bunch. Take care my friend
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Custom call? A glass call by Howard's Custom Calls from Wisconsin. The call is well made and I like that the birds like it. Rios are kinda known for responding well to glass.

Commercial call? I'd prolly have to go with MAD Power Crystal. Great sound overall, and does well from hard cuts to soft tree purrs. (funny thing is..I don't own one)
Old 08-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Typical Buck

I do not have a custom slate, so I can't say anything about them. I have tried a handful of commercial ones. I like the Primos Jackpot, clear and loud. I'm not a huge Primos fan across the board,but they make a few calls that I really like.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:36 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Hey bud, hows the turkey prospects lookin around your new place? I also have a fire and iced call made by Eric that sounds good and looks GREAT!! My go to favorite though is a Primos power crystal I've had for years. Its clean, purrs well, and if need be gets really LOUD! My fire and iced got some playing time last season as well as your mouth calls (great by the way) but i was trying to keep it pretty. Haha! Going to get scuffed up this year!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

Never had a custom slate call. The best commercial friction call I ever used is Knight & Hale's Lil' Yeller.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 AM
Spike

I have one from here.....

http://lightsoutcalls.com/
Old 09-10-2011, 05:48 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Smile

Mine are all custom - just more bang for my buck.

I like the sound far better

Got me a Chester KopperPot

from http://www.prairiecalls.com/

Got me a Glass over Slate - double sided call in Maple Burl pot

from http://www.kaiserkalls.com/index.html

JW

Last edited by JW; 09-10-2011 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:44 AM
Spike

Tim Clayton from Florida makes one of the finest Friction Pot calls made today. He is a D.D. Adams Winner, for his glass/glass call.
He also makes a Pot call that is named the " Double Dealer". Glass over slate double side. Slate for the soft Morning Tree talk and the glass for the Louder type calling.

Roger Parks from Penn, also makes the fiinest Slate call I have ever played, called the Gobbler Pot. The Tree Talker is also one fine call. Great for tree Pitting in the early morning before sunrise, one heck of a combination of calls used together, I do not go afield w/o them in my Vest.
Here are the friction calls Roger makes.

P.M. for contact info for these fellas.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:05 AM
Typical Buck

This call is the best I've ever held a striker to!!! LOVE IT!!! I'm fixing to have him make me a rosewood pot slate call now... Can't wait to get it!!!

JW - I may check your guy out for a copper pot call!!! Checked out his website - pretty awesome calls.

Kim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.