Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

breeding Q?

Old 08-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default breeding Q?

Well, You guessed it!
I'm new to turkey hunting and the Mrs. and I are planning on attempting the "King of Gamebirds" in the near future.

Here's the Question:
Do turkeys have a "rut" cycle similar to that of a Whitetail? During the turkey season, is it possible to effectively miss the breeding cycle rendering calling ineffective?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

In Ontario, Canada the season on the Spring Starts the 4th weekend of April and ends towards the end of May. This coincides with the breeding season of Turkeys hence the time when Toms are receptive to the call of the hens. On your state it could be a little bit earlier. But usually the Spring hunting season is during the breeding season for Turkeys as it evolves around the excitement of calling them by mimicking the call of the hen.
Here's a good read site from some of your compatriots....
http://www.nwtf.org/
Old 09-05-2011, 10:50 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Spring time is the rut, thats what all the gobbling's about! For the most part I don't think you'll miss the major breeding phase. With that being said, I've hunted seasons when the spring has started really cold and the birds aren't ready right when season comes in and don't respond to calls good. Here in Alabama it hit 70deg in Feb this last year and our turkeys were I hunt were gobbling way before season started. I took 3 opening week and never got on another bird. My hunting buds also noticed the gobbling stopped about 2/3's through the season, they were done! Like I said before though, these are rare ocassions and your spring season should be timed so you get the best out of your hunting.

good luck and hunt safe