Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Sat on a Copperhead Friday >

Sat on a Copperhead Friday

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Sat on a Copperhead Friday

Old 04-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sat on a Copperhead Friday

First of all, let me start off by saying I am not afraid of snakes, but even this opened my eyes. I was hunting in Texas Thurs and Friday. I heard a bird gobbling Fri. morning, so I set up on him. Whike I was working him, I thought I kept feeling something under me, but I thought it was just a vine or something. I worked the bird for about 10 minutes before I saw it was a jake and let him walk. When I stood up, I heard something underneath me and felt something on my boot. Needlless to say, I was a little shocked when I looked down to see a Copperhead scurrying away over my boot. I have a thick seat on my vest, so I never really felt the snake. I look back now and consider myself very lucky. If I would have repositioned myself, I could have been bitten. I guess the Lord was looking down on me. The day turned out great though despite the snake and high winds. I killed a real nice gobbler later that evening. Most of us probably don't think about something like this happening, but I will be a little more cautious from now on. Everyone please be careful and keep an eye out.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:30 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Dang!

JW
Old 04-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, What a hunt you was lucky.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

wow ss that could have been bad for you, glad things worked out for you.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank GOD that it all turned out well,glad you were not bitten. And glad the Lord blessed your hunt with a bird. Way to go SS.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

You sure had luck on your side there, that is always something I think about when I am not in the woods, but forget about looking when your all caught up in a hunt.

A good warning thread for sure...
Old 04-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
You sure had luck on your side there, that is always something I think about when I am not in the woods, but forget about looking when your all caught up in a hunt.
Exactly Adrian, I think about it, especially when in Texas, but during the hunt it sometimes slips my mind. All turkey hunters should really be careful, especially when setting up while it's still dark. You never think it could happen to you, when it can at any time. I got lucky this time. I'll be more careful from now on where I sit. Again, everyone still hunting, please be careful and stay safe, and of course good luck.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buddy of mine shot a rattler (almost stepped on him) as shoot time ran out !

Seventeen rattles - longest any of us have ever seen !!!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Very Very lucky man!!!!
Closest I ever came was a rattle snake about 2 ft. from me and I thought I was lucky, I'm glade you did not get bitten!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Spike

Yes, it's amazing what can happen when you don't stay on your toes. Glad to hear your OK and still got a nice bird!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.