Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Bird Down

Old 04-23-2011, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bird Down

It's been a tough season in my neck of the woods. Birds have hardly gobbled and even when one did they just were not receptive to calling. Very few people killing anything. But it went well this morning. Went to a spot we call the home place and walked to my usual listening spot on a little hill in the middle of a cow pasture. I owled one time and this bird gobbled out to my left. He could not have been much more than 100 yards inside the tree line. I eased into the woods and sat down on a big pine. At about the time I figured hens should be hitting the ground I gave a few soft tree yelps. Nothing, but oddly a hen flew to me and landed in a small pine behind me. Eventually she flew down and when she did I yelped again. No gobble but I heard him fly down. After a few minutes I purred and clucked at him with my Wood-haven slate and he thundered. That was good but he was out to my right and that was the only direction my view was obscured by a growth of what I've always called milkweed about 15 yards away. Pretty quick I heard him drumming but directly behind the weeds. Couldn't see a thing. Finally though he moved out to the left of them and I saw that blue head. Boom! Time of death 06:18. And let me tell you. Nitro's are wicked at 18 steps. LOL! 17lbs 1oz, 1 inch spurs, 9 3/4 inch beard.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

Conratz on a beautiful bird and a great story!
Old 04-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

I love getting close to them early in the morn. Congrats todd great turkey!
Old 04-24-2011, 12:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great job brother,sounds like a text book morning hunt that put one in the bag. I'm looking forward to our season beginning this week in Indiana,did a youth hunt yesterday and I know what your saying about birds playin hard to get. Got Jaks to come within range but the strutters kept back and were quite for the most part. We passed on the Jakes hoping a couple bigger guys would come in the kill zone but they stayed back. Good luck to you guys and gals in Bama.