Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Best Deal on Turkey Vest >

Best Deal on Turkey Vest

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best Deal on Turkey Vest

Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Spike

Default Best Deal on Turkey Vest

What is the best turkey vest for the money these days? I'm new to the turkey scene and would like to purchase a vest (I found out how painful it can be not using one yesterday). Could someone point me in the right direction?

Some I had in mind:

http://www.basspro.com/Primos-Strap-...SELL_THUMBNAIL

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead&-x00a...SELL_THUMBNAIL

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cloth...53BBRprd730715

Any input would be appreciated!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Spike

You might want to avoid big box retail stores when looking for the best deal; find the right product for you THEN price hunt for that specific product.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last 2 examples had the back game pouch only going half way up, getting cut off above the waist. This severely limits the capacity to carry rain gear, decoys, etc. I had one like that. Didn't like it.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 AM
Typical Buck

Look on ebay too. Wingsupply, go to a local store and find one that fits well. Was it painful because of the ground or something else? I don't use a vest, but a fanny pack and I carry a short hunting seat. Sits you a few inches off the ground and is great and they are about $15. If you go the vest route get one that has a good cushion you need the comfort!

Last edited by firelt72; 04-20-2011 at 03:46 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a Primos Strap Vest last year on clearance from BPS for around $25-$30. I wanted something that I could adjust down where my seat was in the right position (I'm 6'5") while having less on my upper body (get's hot). I wore it for a few days during the spring turkey opener and was really happy with it. Only downside is if you have a lot of stuff in it, the straps will dig in a little if you are wearing a light shirt, but it wasn't too bad.

It wouldn't hurt to have a little more room in the back pocket but I was able to get two decoys, decoy stakes, shooting stick, and camo umbrella blind in it without anything falling out. It has a neat little pocket on the back for a small water bottle that was very handy also.

Last edited by GRIZZLYMAN; 04-20-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

As far as vests go, I like the strap vests more than full vests...can get pretty hot on up in the day. The one you showed from Cabela's was the only one I could see. It looked pretty decent, but I would definitely get a stool to go with it as well. The best of pads on vests are not gonna keep you from getting a numb backside after a while on the ground.

That being said, I have this season gone the vest-less route, similar to LT. I wear a waist pack and carry a Cabela's Gobbler Lounger with me. I MUCH prefer this! So much more comfortable. Works better for me for runnin' and gunnin' too. The strap that comes on the lounger ain't the best, but will suffice (until it may break, and could then be replaced with a higher quality one). I'd also recommend getting a heavy duty rubber band to go around the top to keep it cinched down instead of the velcro...it can be noisy, plus a rubber band is quicker to get on and off. Comfort is key! It matters not how good your calling sounds to a bird; if you can't sit still until a shot presents itself, you ain't ever gonna kill a bird!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have that vest from Cabela's for five years now.

When I purchased mine it was called the couch potatoe, because it came with a two cushion seat.

I don't know if the "seat" is the same, but I like all the other features.

Great value for the money !
Old 04-20-2011, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan
I have that vest from Cabela's for five years now.

When I purchased mine it was called the couch potatoe, because it came with a two cushion seat.

I don't know if the "seat" is the same, but I like all the other features.

Great value for the money !
I added one more cushion to mine. It sure does help.