Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Maryland Opener Pictures >

Maryland Opener Pictures

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Maryland Opener Pictures

Old 04-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Maryland Opener Pictures

Maryland opener was today, while I didn't score a big gobbler, I did have a lot of fun with my friends and got to experience a lot of new country since I bought a map and found how much public land I had overlooked. Didn't hear a single gobble, saw some longbeards when I was out driving around but no strutting and all of them were by themselves. I'm thinking it was the 3 days of rain and wind that had them freaked out. Anyhow, here are some pictures. Hope you enjoy them.

The river was raging way way up from usual.

The plan was to head across the river under the power lines because we had seen turkeys in there before, well to say the least the waders were a let down and the river was a lot higher than anticipated.

This was when Collin discovered that his waders were leaking, and I'm fairly sure that was the part where it went from knee to thigh deep in one step

I ended up going in a deeper spot accidentally and it went over the top of mine a tad, but the rest was from leaks

The wind was just ridiculous

We had some free time in the middle of the day when it wasn't raining so I said we should build a little "Fireplace" type thing Went well I thought.

We put the cap on the truck and threw some pads in the bottom and slept in there, I was extremely surprised how comfortable it was really.

We started hearing what we thought was wood cracking, turns out it was rocks exploding, well the explosions got progressively worse and then finally one of the bigger ones I'm not sure which finally exploded and that was the end of the fireplace. At least I was there to see it fall down

Daybreak creeping in on us

There is a decoy right in the center of the picture, kind of hard to see but its there.

Us sitting and waiting for the turkeys to come (they never did)

A good shot of the uphill side

Had to check the powerline before we left. Beautiful morning

Looking the other way.

The spring was REALLY flowing strong this week.

Hope you guys enjoyed them, I know for a fact I had a blast, I wish I could have harvested one but its not always about that.

Ryan.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:55 AM
Spike

From the Boy Scout handbook: "Never use river rocks for your fireplace!" LOL!! Looks like you guys had a great time. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great pictures... glad you had a good time!
Old 04-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a good time.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Great recap. It's not always about the shooting. Being out enjoying the outdoors is the main thing. You'll both remember the good time you had.
Thanks for sharing.

louie
Old 05-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very cool Ryan!! Brings me back fond memories, enjoy and remember those times buddy. Good stuff.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for sharing your great time with us,enjoyed it.