Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey rifle ?

Old 04-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey rifle ?

OK. I think I know the answer to this question, but I'm asking it anyway. How many here think it's OK to hunt Turkey with a rifle? Let me start by saying that 2 years ago I shot a Turkey at 10 yards with a shotgun & lets all admit that you can't really miss with a shotgun at 10 yards. My 2 & 3/4" turkey load from my Ithaca 37 did the job just fine. This year I shot an 18 lb. Osceola at 50 yards coming into my decoy & I maintain that this year I had a much harder shot. I was standing up in some palmettos & shooting off-hand. No rest or support, just my trembling hands on my Marlin XL7. I took that bird very cleanly, no wasted meat & I was thrilled that I was able to make the shot. I know that many people maintain that a shotgun is the only "sporting" way to harvest a Turkey, but many of those same people are using 3 & 1/2" magnums with full-choke turkey loads & they can dust a bird at 60 yards every time. So what's the difference? I maintain that a single bullet at 50 yards is more sporting than a bucket-wide spray at 60 yards any day of the week. And if shotgunning is the only "true" way to harvest Turkeys, should they all be limited to 2 & 3/4" just to be fair? It's kind of like the argument between compound bow shooters & long bow shooters - which is more ethical? I would like to have been in the Turkey Contest in this forum, but rifle hunters are not permitted, so that's why I started this thread. Please post any & all opinions. Thank you. Rich
Old 04-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

I just use my Marlin bolt action .22wmr pretty much for everything.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Colorado regs state Shotguns or hand held bows only for spring turkey.
Fall turkey you can also use centerfire or rimfire, handguns and muzzle loader.

Frankly I don't understand why you cant use any weapon that can safely and efficiently take down a turkey but I do prefer my shotgun.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

I will add a little twist that I heard while hunting Osceola's this week in Florida. I am not saying all do this. I was told that originally alot of the ranchers here put out corn but you can't shoot over corn with in 100 yds. But it is an easy shot with a rifle. That is why there was a section in there regs to allow for hunting with a rifle. To appeaze some ranchers and there guests. I thought that was an interesting slant. I don't think any shotgun 3.5" or whatever could take a turkey at 100 yds. Plus all the other arguements that were given before.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RockyMtnGobblers
Colorado regs state Shotguns or hand held bows only for spring turkey.
Fall turkey you can also use centerfire or rimfire, handguns and muzzle loader.

Frankly I don't understand why you cant use any weapon that can safely and efficiently take down a turkey but I do prefer my shotgun.
Haivng hunted CO PA GA and NC I guess I could say that a lot of states' "spring gobbler" seasons are shotgun only. And then in fall it's whatever ya got. Fun no matter how you cut it.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Turkey rifle ???

You mean shotgun right !

Nobody wants to shoot turkeys from 100 yards away...............that's no fun !!!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Spike

I think why you should only hunt turkeys with shotguns is because everybody wears camo while hunting turkeys, so now of you want to use rifles you'll have to wear blaze orange, now how fun would that be
Old 04-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

Hunting with a rifle sure would make it a lot easier. I could tag out every day I've hunted this year. Would save a lot of money on calls too, since why bother, when you can pick a good spot on high ground with a good scope, and if you've scouted at all, eventually that day you'll get a shot. Would be funny to see guys reaction to working a bird closer, and you take him at 150 yards with a 22-250. Actually happens in Florida all of the time. Usually from a road shot. A bit dangerous since they have no idea where you are when they are shooting, but hey, a little danger makes it more fun. I know I sure wouldn't put up a Pretty Boy with the price of those. Can you imagine how many holes they'd have in them by the end of a Turkey season, much less how many shots you'd have wingen by you. I'd have to dig a bunker to hunt with one of those. Maybe we should all use rifles, and give the NWTF a chance to do what they originally started, rebuilding the Turkey population after our ancestors almost totally wiped them out with rifles. The NWTF would probably be excited about that, since they've had goal issues lately.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

What would be the fun with that. I want to get that turkey as close as possible.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Spike

Default Turkey Hunting with a rifle or whatever

I live and hunt in Florida and I have only used my double 16 with 4's for turkey. This season the FWC decided to make hunting on public land shotgun only. I will never be able to get a turkey with my .45 T/C with patch/round ball
I see coming in the near future some clown(s) out there will say the are fearfull hunting on public land for deer with all the highpower rifles that are being used. Shotgun only! Thats what they said was the reason for making turkey only with a shotgun. I wonder if Davy or Daniel or Sgt. York would have traded in their rifles for a shotgun to be "SAFE"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.