Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Great day with a brand new gun that wasnt patterned!! >

Great day with a brand new gun that wasnt patterned!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Great day with a brand new gun that wasnt patterned!!

Old 04-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Spike

Default Great day with a brand new gun that wasnt patterned!!

So alot of you know I was looking to buy a gun and i did i bought a Remington 870 turkey SPS camoed out. Well I planned on patterning it before I went turkey hunting well the wind got the best of me and I couldnt pattern it. So on the 16th of April I woke up at 430am drove to the spot an hour away got there at 630am starting walking in the fields and using my Owl call and couldn't get a gobble. Then I saw a field on the other side of a creek and told my wife there has to be birds over there somewhere and just as I said that a crow flies over and makes its crow call and I heard Gobbles like crazy. put my deke out and laid down in the grass due to I couldnt find a tree. So with the Deke out about 10yrds, I start calling and gobble after gobble and thinking its hened up. So I rise up and peek over the top and see 5 gobblers and 2 yens. I got one tom to come to me and I think I might of spooked it and it walked off. Then the 2 hens cam walking in and what fallowed right behind them 4 toms. And the 1st hen walked right by me about 1 1/2yrd away and the other hen wanted to fight my deke. Then I saw a tom that looked big aimed calmed my breathe and decided to shoot the one right behind it. And it turns out he was the boss tom I'm assuming cuz he weighed 25lbs. 10inch beard and 1inch spurs for a big ole' eastern that I shot at 8yrds while laying down in grass. I was so happy about it, it felt like a TV show for me. But just wanted to share my story and I hope everyone enjoyed it as much as I did telling it. Good luck to everyone and have safe trips.
Attached Thumbnails Great day with a brand new gun that wasnt patterned!!-207575_1545515572548_1674789230_1033500_1310741_n.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 04-17-2011, 05:21 PM
Inactive

Congratulations. Great looking bird for sure. I guess your hooked on turkey hunting now.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Spike

Ive always been hooked just never been very successful at it I've shot hens during the fall just never a tom. I guess ya can say I got lucky or I just did something right. But I think it was my wifes good luck. LOL
Old 04-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Spike

Looks like someone might be addicted now! Great bird and best of luck on future hunts.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Spike

Well when someone has turkey tracks tattooed on their ribs ya know they are addicted. lol
Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the bird. But personally I would never take out a new weapon without first patterning or sighting it in. Thats just asking for disaster. We owe it to the game we chase to be prepared for a quick clean kill. To be honest how would you have felt if you just wounded that bird?
Old 04-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird! 8 yards is a more difficult shot than 48 yards! Looks like it was hitting right where you wanted it to.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Great story, congradulations.
You could call it luck, but you had to get out of bed, call to the bird, set up the deke and make the shot. A lot could have gone wrong. You put yourself in the right situation and sometimes that is all it takes.

John
Old 04-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great job on your hunt and a nice bird. As far as not getting to pattern your gun I'm sure you did your homework on picking a gun already set up for turkey and you got advice on a good shell for that gun. So I think not being able to pattern it was not what you desired but it came together and worked out.
Good story, thanks for sharing and enjoy that new turkey wacker!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Spike

Yeah all the advise on here helped out a lot. I read what most people where using for a shot load and what most people used for a turkey gun and about 80% said they use an 870 so thats what I got. And honestly if I wouldn't be so focused on the opinions and advise on this site I prolly would have not been successful. But I still think its luck lol I mean 5 toms in front of ya lol. And i prolly would have felt like crap wounding that bird. And would have tried like hell to find it and take it down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.