Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
need help on gun setup please >

need help on gun setup please

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

need help on gun setup please

Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default need help on gun setup please

i just bought a Remington 870 sps t super mag turkey gun with a 23 inch barrel and a indiain creek black diamond striker choke. now what is a couple of the best turkey loads that i can get to make it a long range gun? i am wanting a 60+ yard gun. now i doubt i would ever shoot a turkey that far. i am just trying to get a gun that will be able to do this. so i am needing the best shot size for turkey with the shell that has the most knock down power. thanks for your help.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

60yds is quite a long poke. I'd look into testing Hevi-shot and Wingmaster HD in 3" minimum, 3.5" if you want to spend the $$. No. 4 shot will carry more energy downrange than no.6, but your really need to pattern yoru gun at that distance. At long ranges, pattern density will be a important factor. Remington makes a duplex load with no 4 and no.6 shot.

Try to find a load in the biggest legal shot size. In most states, this is no.4. In many states legal shot sizes for spring turkey are 4,5 or 6.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would start with a box of hevi 13 # 6 shot. I think you will be quite surprised with the results that you will get.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nitro 3.5" #7's will probably get you to 60 yards, and maybe a bit further depending on how your gun likes it.
Hevi-13 3.5" #7's from last years lot #'s were able to achieve 60 yard killing patterns with a few different setups.
I highly doubt you will get 60+ yards killing patterns with any of the 3" Hevi-13 or other popular heavier than lead loads.......if you do you are really doing something right.
You should polish your barrel no matter what you choose.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:09 AM
Fork Horn

remmington xtended range.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

I had been using #5 Heavy Shot in my old 12ga 870 pump (3" max). 7 years ago, by accident, I tried Federal #5 turkey loads and have been using them ever since. What I had thought was a good pattern with HeavyShot, was even better with Federal. When I bought a 20ga 870, with the same 21" barrel for my daughter, I just naturally got Federal #5, and it patterns better than my 12ga.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Banned

try the 3.5 hevi 13 2.25 oz #7's... as stated last years lot # is best if you can find them... think it is 300326 if i remember right. what ever you do do not shoot the federal flite control out of that indian creek choke. they have a tendancy to split at the end..