Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Southern Virginia opener >

Southern Virginia opener

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Southern Virginia opener

Old 04-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Southern Virginia opener

Well.... I got up and out there early. Heard em at 6:20 in the roost. They were gobbling more than ever. BUT, not intrested in me at all. Had a great time hearing and seeing one. Looking forward to the next hunt. How'd everyone else do?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Spike

Heard one quick and feeble gobble at 7:30,saw one hen that passed by at about 35 yds and the fog was so thick all day till noon you could cut it with a knife. Yeah it sucked where I was.
Old 04-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Typical Buck

We were heading out at 4:30 a.m. to try and locate them on the roost but hubby wanted to sleep in. (BLAH! LOL!!!) Then we left the house around 7:30 a.m. to try mushroom hunting and got blasted with a MAJOR thunderstorm (crazy lightening!!!) - so we had to turn around & come home. My morning was a BUST...

Here - ours are starting to gobble around 5:50 until about 6:15 a.m. Our season opens April 27th - so I'm just scouting right now.

WTM- I've seen where the fog will keep them on the roost an hour + ... Keep at it my friend - you'll knock one down!!!

Kim
Old 04-10-2011, 05:36 AM
Typical Buck

I have been scouting the past two weekends and I finally heard a turkey gobble. He gobbled twice and that was it. Our season starts the 16th of April
Old 04-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Spike

We had them gobbling for about half an hour after sunrise in the Shenandoah Mountains, fog up higher but now down in our valley. Crows were chatty too. Then they turned off. We kept bumping into them and getting them to gobble, but they wouldn't come close. Had them gobbling on three separate setups before ending at noon. Had 'em close...no cigar! Next week!
Old 04-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

I would say my opening day was one to remember. I have been trying to get a Spring Gobbler for three season. Saturday I called my first turkey into my set 65 yards out,but they where young jakes and were scared off By B-mobile. I plan on going out Wednesday and try again. Might just use my hen decoy