Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Question about shot size regulation >

Question about shot size regulation

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question about shot size regulation

Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Spike

Default Question about shot size regulation

Sorry for the stupid question but I am new to using shotguns so I am still learning about shot size, chokes, etc. I plan to go turkey hunting tomorrow for the first time and was gathering all of my stuff together and rechecked the regs and came across this :
No restrictions on shot size except for spring gobbler season when it is unlawful to have any shot in possession larger than number 2 fine shot while hunting.
I am not sure what this means. What I have are #5 shot 3" mag turkey loads. Is this saying that I can not use the shells that I have? Sorry for the newbie question but I need help understanding it.
Thanks,
T
Old 04-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Spike

#5 is smaller than #2
Old 04-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The larger the number, the smaller the diameter of the pellet. #8's are tiny, 00 is about .32 inches in diameter.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Spike

You're good to go. The number 5 shot is ok and is the same that I use and will be using tomorrow in a 3 1/2 inch magnum. I also am a SW Va hunter and will be out there tomorrow morning. Good luck! But most of all be patient.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
doesn't know how big a number 5 is, or whether its legal and he's going turkey hunting? ahh the internet age!
I have been hunting for years just never for turkey or much hunting with a shotgun. Most of my hunting has been with a rifle. Figured it was better to ask what some (such as you) might have thought a dumb question and get the correct answer than taking the chance of hunting with a shell that was illegal and getting in trouble. However, I do appreciate your smartass answer.
T
Old 04-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might want to pattern that gun before shooting at a turkey...
Old 04-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check the pattern at 40yds.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Spike

I patterned it with these shells about a month ago. I have everything in order for tomorrow just got thrown for a loop when I was double checking to make sure that blaze orange wasn't required and saw the line about the #2 shot. Just wanted to make sure that I was ok with the shells that I have.
T
Old 04-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Fork Horn

Heck of a storm last night.........Go kill ya one........Heading out in a few