Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Did I blow it?

Old 04-03-2011, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Did I blow it?

Our first season starts tomorrow and I was not able to get my 2 pop=up blinds out due to work and weather till this morning. I knew where the turkeys hang out most of the time.
I get in there and find an open place and deploy the blind. I know the turkeys roost in that area for I deer hunt that area as well.
Just as I am leaving, I start to follow a deer trail a few yards and then up ahead I notice something out the corner of my eye and see a tom strutting and a hen sitting about 6 feet off the ground in front of him They see me, I see them, I just turn to my right and slowly walk out of the timber back to my truck.
Do you feel that I can hunt that blind in the next day or so or did I screw it up?

Forgot to say that this is my first turkey hunt and at 48 years old and haveing hunted all over the US, Canada and Argentina, I have never killed a turkey yet!!!!!!! Even killed 2 hogs a month ago with a knife (have on video!!) and never a turkey, seems rather strange at best. I am also using a bow to boot.

Last edited by SecondChance; 04-03-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, you are 100% safe to hunt that same spot. Besides, its not like thats the ONLY tom in the area.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Typical Buck

I think you'll be okay too... It's unfortunate that they busted you - but better today than tomorrow! Good Luck!!!

Kim
Old 04-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

You will be fine. Hunt it and kill one. Good Luck
Old 04-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

i would go right back in there you will be fine. good luck
Old 04-03-2011, 05:50 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Your good to go! It would be different if you were calling or something. They don't know you from anything else, just don't want to be around anything. Get in there and smoke one!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you ain't bumping turkeys then you ain't hunting turkeys! Go get them!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks to all!!! Hopefully this godforsaken wind dies down. It is supposed to get up over 50mph gusts tonight off and on till the early AM tomorrow. Cant wait to see a green Luma-Nok zip and a GrimReapper through a wing patch or just above his beard butt!!!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 07:48 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't try using a bow for a first turkey. You should use your knife Sorry, had to throw that in there!

Good luck to you and I can't wait to hear about your hunt. Thump one with an arrow and you're one up on me!

rw
Old 04-04-2011, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

We were scouting this Saturday,bumped two Toms strutting with a few Hens. Came back through 40 minutes later they were only 100 yards from where we saw them and they saw us. We got close enough to watch them doing their thing again with Binos. You should be fine I bet they stayed in the area and hardly buged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.