Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Best load for Franchi i12? >

Best load for Franchi i12?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best load for Franchi i12?

Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best load for Franchi i12?

Hi, this is the first year I will be turkey hunting with my shotgun, a Franchi i12. Last year I used a bow but never got a bird. Does anyone have experience knowing which 3" load patterns best with this gun. I will try patterning a few loads myself, but I thought that by posting on here first I might save a little money on shells (poor college student!). Thanks for any and all advice. Farthest shot distance will probably be about 40yds.

First will the gun shoot 2 3/4 in?
Some times 2 3/4 in will patteren better than 3 in.
I also like # 6s over the # 4s, and 5s.
# 4s, and 5s are bigger, and hit harder a little, but have less pellets.
And the # 6s have a lot more pellets.
More pellets = more more to hit the mark with.
I hope this helps.

JMHO

Last edited by jrbsr; 04-01-2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:52 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

I started using my I-12 this year. I've already took 3 using 3" mag blends Hevi13's. I'm using a tru-glo gobble stopper choke. It's ok, but I didn't have time to shop around and went with price. Can not shoot past 40! Found that out opening day!! Haha!

Good luck, hunt safe!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Franchi generally likes a bit tighter choke. I have had excellent patterns with both a Indian Creek and Pure Gold .655 choke shooting Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's, Hevi-13 3" 2oz #6's, and Winchester Xtended Range 3" 1.75oz #6's.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice. Yes the gun can shoot 2 3/4" shells, I just thought that bigger meant better, haha! My husband has some Remington Nitro 3" #6 laying around so I will try those, and I might get a box of the Hevi-13. Is Hevi-13 different than normal Hevi-Shot? And is one better than the other?
Old 04-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tsaxybabe
Thanks for the advice. Yes the gun can shoot 2 3/4" shells, I just thought that bigger meant better, haha! My husband has some Remington Nitro 3" #6 laying around so I will try those, and I might get a box of the Hevi-13. Is Hevi-13 different than normal Hevi-Shot? And is one better than the other?
Hevi-13 is Environ Metals turkey load it will have a different wad, and generally will have a larger payload. Definitely recommend Hevi-13 for turkey hunting.