Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Shotgun Load

Old 03-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Banned

Default Shotgun Load

Guys i am heading to new mexico in 2 weeks to film my brother in laws turkey hunt.

I never hunted turkey so heres what i got.

J.C. Higgins model 20 -12GA ( 2 - 3/4" )

It has an adjustable choke that goes from 25 - 30 - 35 - 4- - 55 - 60 yards. I remember shooting some cheap winchester 8 shot through this shotgun at 60 yards and it did pretty good, but i do believe we need more than 1 1/8oz, or maybe just something with larger shot size for turkey.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think 8's are big enough to kill a turkey unless he's in your lap. You'll end up wounding birds. Get yourself some 2 3/4" turkey loads, 6's, or 5's, and try them with your gun. With an adjustable choke, you should be able to find a load that'll work out to 40 yd.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Guys i am heading to new mexico in 2 weeks to film my brother in laws turkey hunt.

I never hunted turkey so heres what i got.

J.C. Higgins model 20 -12GA ( 2 - 3/4" )

It has an adjustable choke that goes from 25 - 30 - 35 - 4- - 55 - 60 yards. I remember shooting some cheap winchester 8 shot through this shotgun at 60 yards and it did pretty good, but i do believe we need more than 1 1/8oz, or maybe just something with larger shot size for turkey.

I hate to be Mr. Negative... But I think you might want to leave that gun at home in the closet
Old 03-27-2011, 05:17 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I'd pattern some 6, 5, and 4s copper plated lead through this gun using the tighest choke and see what pattern I'd get on the attached downloadable target.

http://lewand.tripod.com/turkeytargets.html

I have read many of your posts on the BP forum and know you do research. My rule of thumb is 8 to 12 pellet holes consistently in the neck bone, skull, eye of the second paper target and that determines my lethal range. But again I like them real close - closer than most here.

I would not shoot a bird past 30 yards (patterning you know your distance which gives you the confidence of a clean shot - so it may be farther) and closer is far better. I use Winchester Supreme #4s and think I have seen that load in a 2 3/4 shell.

6s give you more bbs per shell but I changed to 4s as that gave me a higher muzzle velocity which gives me a little bit more distance and with the higher velocity a bit more punch.

JW
Old 03-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
I hate to be Mr. Negative... But I think you might want to leave that gun at home in the closet
Oh yeah? And why is that
Old 03-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

Well the #8 bird shot did good at 40 yards, i think with the heavier shot will improve even better. 25 yards was a piece of pie.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

RR, #8 bird shot was just to test the choke and figure out which was i had to adjust it.

We plan on #5 or #6 shot for turkey