Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How do you hunt for turkey? >

How do you hunt for turkey?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do you hunt for turkey?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Spike

Default How do you hunt for turkey?

Short and sweet, Im primarly a deer hunter and have failed to get a turkey in my sights on two different seasons. This year I have some much better property to hunt and want advice on a few things. What kind of pre scouting do you do? Whats a good thing to do/look for before season to maybe give you a good idea of the spot to sit on day 1? If I can not get a chance to pre scout, what is my best bet to do on day 1? On both of the seasons I hunted for turkey, it was in wmas. I often Heard a gobbler in the distance but thats the closest ive been while hunting them. If this occures again what would you guys do? What calls are best early in the season in a situation similiar to mine?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 PM
Spike

I used to be a heavy "run and gun" type of guy. Now I practice more patience
Old 03-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

find a freind or co-worker who has alot of experience in the turkey woods. You can learn alot from a veteran turkey hunter. It took me several season before I shot my first gobbler. Good luck
Old 03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Typical Buck

theres some great books out there on turkey hunting, ive read probably 5 of them. No expert but depending on the season you have all kinds of techniques.....one is try to find where the turkeys are and put them to bed in their roost tree, they will be there in the morning usually. Go set up on them and try and lure them down in the morning. Or you can cruise fire roads and get out every so often and hit a locator call and try and get a gobble. Or you can go in around noon after the toms have mated their hens and are alone and try and get one that way. Im sure youll get a lot of different opinions and methods on here but seriously, the books are written by some of the best turkey hunters out there, why not learn from the best.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I go to the gobble if I dont hear one then I set up in an area where I know they will travel through.......
Old 03-11-2011, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

In simplest terms find where the turkeys are roosting, and where they are eating. Setup somewhere inbetween on a route they are likely to go.
If you cant scout before season, go to an area likely to hold turkeys and try to get one to gobble. Close the distance and call them in to you.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do your scouting at dawn & dusk.

Use a crow call to locate them.

At dusk, follow them back to their roost trees.

Set up 75 to 100 yards from the roost in the area that you see/hear them most often.

Como from head to toe & call softly.

Movement is your biggest concern.

Bring a cushion or low slung chair so you can be comfortable.

Decoys help !

Here's what I use;

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Carry...h-All+Products
Old 03-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Spike

you are a hunter so you know the deal on scouting location, the best advice i could give you is learning how to talk to them. sometimes an loud aggressive calling approach works and then sometimes a soft subtile approach works...trial and error, remember what you did and what results you had.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 AM
Fork Horn

Know the woods your hunting.. Have established routes to get in unseen early and be dynamic.
Listen to the birds and how they react and where they go. Turkey hunting has 2 winners, guys who get lucky with hot birds and guys who know how to turkey hunt...

The key to every bird I've shot is that I scout often, I know the land, and I know where the birds are going. I take a weapon, 2 calls, and one of those seats.

Everything else is a gimmick to throw your money at.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:58 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by misfiredawg
I used to be a heavy "run and gun" type of guy. Now I practice more patience
I have to hunt that way now...simply don't have the room to prospect around like i used too!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.