Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How do you hunt for turkey? >

How do you hunt for turkey?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do you hunt for turkey?

Old 03-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Fork Horn

Run and gun has worked the best for me. Here 'em goggle go after them.

If that doesn't work and I know the area real well I will go have a seat in the woods for a while. If I don't know the area well I do some extra scouting just to see what I can see.

My hunting spots are over 120 miles round trip from my house so scouting is mainly done during season. As it will be this year due to high gas prices. I hate doing it this way but the expense in gas is just to great for me to make several trips before season.

I wish we had alot of turkeys in my area but we don't and what we do have I will not hunt them. I don't think we will ever get very many turkeys at home but what we do have I enjoy seeing from time to time. Also they are dumb birds you can walk with in 20 yrds of them if you go slow and they will not spook just look at you and walk slowly the other way. They are wild but they live so close to people it just doesn't bother them when they see someone.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

as for scouting when i drive im lookin. i see places that have turkeys in the field i try to get permission to hunt there or maybe a farm next to it. if you know there are turkeys there they are most likely there all the time. be persistant but patient. when you think the bird is finished with you set there just a lil while longer. ive seen alot of good answers to your questions on here so compile everything and use every tool you can think of to help you out.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by turkeyslayer15
when you think the bird is finished with you set there just a lil while longer.
That's a great point! The last thing you want to do is get up to move on and see a Tom turning tail and running off! I sit at least 10-15 minutes after my last call before I move on. And when I do move on, I usually do some scratching around to see if one fires back up. If they are close enough to hear that and have been quiet for a bit, they have in my experience responded to scratching after a bit of no calling.

As for where to get on day one, try to be in the woods the evening before and put them to bed. If you can't, and you aren't very familiar with the woods you will be hunting in order to have some spots in mind, I would hit the owl call a little at the first hint of light to see if you get any responses. If you do get some response, you should have time to get within 75-100 yards without being detected if you are being as stealthy as you should be.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:23 PM
Spike

The most important thing is to know your prey. Where they sleep, eat, and drink. Catch them moving in or out of these areas. Of course this takes patience, warm clothing, and a padded seat. Shock calling and the fooling them into your decoys right after flydown is always a hot ticket to a warm dinner.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Run and gun? OK...is that the turkey hunter's equivalent to a deer hunter's spot and stalk? Interesting term. "Run" doesn't make it sound as stealthy as "stalk." Or is it more literal? You hear one gobble, just close the gap until you see one, then when you are busted, you run in 'till you are in range and fire away? I image we can run faster than turkeys, but we can't fly. Sorry, just a little confused by this term and technique.

Also, "put them to bed?" Does that mean you are forcing them to roost by making your presence known around last light? Or does it simply mean you locate them and stick close by until you hear them fly up to roost?
Old 03-23-2011, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

7.62, run&gun means just moving around a lot. Try a spot and if no action move.
Walk and hit locator call, when you hear a response determine in which direction and approx how far away and close the gap. Then set up and pull out the turkey call. Never let a bird know you are there, and if they do see you don't run after a bird!

Put them to bed means going out at the end of the day and trying to figure out where they are roosting. You aren't chasing them to their roost, you just wanna know what trees they are in so you can set up near there and call the following morning.

Personally I just make myself comfortable in a pop-up blind and spend the day. I'm only on a small piece of land so I set up where I see them feeding often and just call occasionally and wait. I've had both great seasons and disappointing ones doing this.

Good luck.