Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Say it ain't so!

Old 02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Unhappy Say it ain't so!

Like the rest of you I'm dying for season to start. Was getting my gear out and ready and decided to look at my beards and spurs, for motivation, you know how it is. When I picked up one of my beards it fell into pieces!!!!! What happened? I lost about 50 beards I've been saving for years! Any one else ever had this happen?
Old 02-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can't say in your case, but I lost about 10 a couple years ago. My dumb... Black lab chewed them to shreds! Let's just say I was a little upset with her
Old 02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never had any beards fall apart but my mom threw out a shoebox with about 10 beards and some spurs in it when I was in high school years ago. She also chunked my very first bird's fan and beard that was in a walmart sack in the freezer....that was a cool move. I used to collect squirrel tails when I was a kid and kept them in a shoebox....why is it that boys always keep things in shoeboxes?....Anyways I found that box about 5 years ago when my parents moved and picked up one of the tails and it fell apart like your beards did. Had about 20 tail bones and a pile of hair. Sorry to hear about your beards bud. But hey, at least you still got the spurs....hopefully.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

bugs got one of my beards, fell to pieces....I glued it back thankfully...I'm also missing 3 beards, I have no clue where they went.......so sad.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:37 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

LOL! Thanks, some of your horror stories are helping....a little! I guess it was bugs or something, but man those things are hard to come by! I do still have all my spurs, they dont take up as much room in my box. Hahaha
Old 03-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Fork Horn

My pup ate a rio and a Merriams fan last year.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:49 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I learned a while back. As soon as it is dry - like in a month - the beard is inserted into the spent shell housing.

JW
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

JW, I had some in shotshell brass too. From now on they'll get a routine bug spray! Now there just little hairy stumps in old brass! LOL! By the way I'm laughing so I don't cry!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:05 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hair stumps?

My method - I cut as much skin as I can off and then place the meat end in a cup of dry borax for about a month or so. Then flake off the excess borax and glue in my shot hell housing.

I have had no problems with bugs but it is not a bad Idea to spray a light mist of House and Garden Insecticide. Or spray inside a plastic bag and then insert your beards. that is even better yer.

I killed bugs for a living at one time.

JW
Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Haha. Yea, thats all thats showing coming from out of the glue, little stubble! All I got left is some old turkey skin thats hard as a rock, and a garage floor that looks like whats under the barbers chair!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.