Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Ever lost a bird with #7 hevi shot??? >

Ever lost a bird with #7 hevi shot???

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ever lost a bird with #7 hevi shot???

Old 03-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

I killed a bird on opening morning last year with 20 gauge 3" #7 hevi shot.

It was only 30 yards and I know your question is about longer ranges. This is the only experience I have with this load though. I plan to use it more often this year as the 20 single shot is really really light compared to my 12g nova.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Typical Buck

I bought another box of 3" #7's today...

rw
Old 03-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been shooting 5's but you guys might have me talked into trying some 7's. My question is where do you guys get your combo loads of 5's and 7's?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OntElk
public or private bird? Of course the public ones are tougher to knock down so it would depend.........

When it comes to easy private land birds your Ont birds take it to a whole new level of easy!!!

I heard theres only like 5 people in Ontario that hunt turkeys JA
Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Typical Buck

don't forget there in pens up here as well. That really helps too!
Old 03-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

No just boxed birds shipped in by the NWTF...

Either way there private property birds... No comparison to a heavily hunted eastern!!!

So quite kidding your self
Old 03-04-2011, 06:58 AM
Spike

I once knocked a bird down with heavy shot and while standing over the bird giving high fives to my son the bird stood up and flew away. I watched him fly into a cow pasture and then run another 400 yards to the wood line. Looked all day and never found him.
The bird was flopping around at my feet and not able to lift his head and then... Bye Bye.
I will never let that happen again. I always grab the bird by the neck and choke him until he gives up the ghost. OH by the watch those spurs, they hurt.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jepcho
I've been shooting 5's but you guys might have me talked into trying some 7's. My question is where do you guys get your combo loads of 5's and 7's?
You can get them from most any major sports retailer. They are Hevi shots Mag Blend. Personally, I would shoot the straight #7's as they do the majority of the work anyway.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Have always used #5's and 6's in my 870. Switched to Federal turkey loads by a chance encounter. We encouraged hunters in camp to use the Heavy Shot. One guy that switched, gave me two boxes of Federal. It patterned better for me than the Heavy Shot, so I have stuck with it.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Super Moderator

BTW- did take one with that set up in Nebraska while hunting with Lilhunter at 73 yds across a draw. My rangefinder was in the blind from the morning set up and we were off running n gunning. If I had known it was that distance, I wouldn't have taken the shot. None the less, I was impressed that I got that range.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.