Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What is your favorite Locator Call? >

What is your favorite Locator Call?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is your favorite Locator Call?

Old 02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
Spike

Default What is your favorite Locator Call?

Just wanting to see what everyone use's as a locator call. Also to see what brands people prefer over others.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

You all can tell I'm borred today right

Locators are a very important call to have with you and the crow is one such call that I find is one of the "Go to Calls" in the locator world. What I have found is that different crow calls tend to work differently and I'm guessing the pitch is the answer of why they work at times.

I carry the Quakerboy Cranking crow and as well a Faulks and I can do it also witrh my voice too, want to hear J/K

anyway I find that they all work at different times. I've had one work over another at times and then the very next day the other one would work over the one I used the day before. Be fexable and have a number of different locators because they have the right time at sometime.

Toss a DSD at them
Old 02-21-2011, 02:24 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

I use a owl call most of the time. Not even sure what the brand is, it was a cheap call I bought years ago but it sounds great. Were I hunt it's a river bottom and it's not uncommon to hear an old owl hoot any time of day.
I also use other calls. I have a Primos crow call thats really high pitched thats given good results. Just pay attention to whats in your turkey woods and how the birds react. I have some freinds who hunt right on another river here in state and they use goose calls. The birds are used to hearing them, and I've seen it work first hand.
Theres many that work but a owl and crow are my choice.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do a hard couple of cuts on my box call. Once I located some turks by accidentally dropping a gate chain on a cattle guard...."Clang!"..."Gobble, Gobble, Gobble!"
Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crow call, pig squeal, hawk scream, car door, and car horn all seem to work pretty well.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Spike

I like to use good ole mother nature work its seems to always help and if nothing sounds off I will go to my prime crow call. I have had cows moo and birds go crazy
Old 02-22-2011, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

I prefer my H. S. owl call or coyote and rageing rooster calls. All work well but as Hurracanespg pointed out many sounds will get a gobbler to respond from thunder to a fire truck, but calls are a lot easer to put in your shirt pocket.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

I have had limited success with locator calls. I use a crow and owl call and if those don't work sometimes I will let out a yell and I have taken a bird that way he wouldn't shock gobble to the locator calls or yelps from a slate and I just yelled, Hey and he gobbled and I went to the slate call and he didn't quit until he was dead. Go figure???

I usually just do some loud yelps to try and locate birds, if that doesn't work I go to the locators or yelling. Sounds silly to yell but it has worked several times for me but only one kill.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

An Owl.....sometimes a crow later in the day.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Crow, but I make that call with my mouth (not a manufactured call).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.