Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

taking a youth hunting

Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default taking a youth hunting

I have volunteered with the local NWTF chapter and taken a youth out during the annual JAKES hunt for the past couple years. It's usually during the Illinois 3rd season, which falls around the middle of April.

I took a youngster and his father out last year with no success. We are limited to one day, so it really puts the pressure on! This year he drew a tag for youth season, which falls before the regular seasons start. I offered to take him and his father out again during that season. They are excited, and so am I. I'd love to call a bird in for him.

The youth season is the weekend of March 26? which is a good deal earlier than I am used to hunting. I'm not really sure how to approach the birds this early in season. I was wondering if anybody could give me some early season tips to increase the chances of me calling in a gobbler for my hunter. Lighter calling? decoys or not? I'm at a loss!

rw
Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

Dont know how the seasons are there, but ours starts March 15th in Alabama and the birds are ready. Its usually fairly easy to get on one early in the season even though they dont really get fired up till later on. I would think call like you normally do, these birds arnt pressured yet. There are usually toms together still here so a strutting jake and some hens might work. However you decide to do it, hope you have a great hunt!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 AM
Typical Buck

The birds are usually still figuring out the pecking order. Dominant toms are getting their harems together. I cant answer about the decoys. I would think a Jake decoy would do well as the birds probably won't be breeding yet. Be ready for the birds to still be flocked together.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I take youths out for the youth season in Iowa and I have learned a few things.

I personally havent had much luck calling. Sure they gobble back but they are flocked up usually in the early season. If you can hear hens yelping try to mimic them. Cut them off. Call louder and more aggressive than they are. Try to piss of the boss hen and get her to come whoop your decoy. I have become pretty good at making hens fighting mad and when they come in any toms will usually follow. Dont call too much though. Whenever the hen talks you answer back with a smartass remark. Be carefull though. I almost smoked a hen that come in in full strut because I got her so worked up but then realized it was indeed a hen. Quite a cool show.

Your best bet is going to be to try to pattern them. Figure out where they like to go to feed and strut in the morning and just be there before they are. I dont think decoys hurt anything. Ive always had hens that come into the dekes but they never had toms with them.

Ive seen turkeys fighting during this season so a jake decoy might work. That being said with the fighting comes subdominant birds that might shy away from a jake decoy. Whether you use one would be predicated on whether there is a big boss tom in the area running everyone else out of town. Just some things I've noticed over the years. Hope this helps.