Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Anyone hunt Nebraska!?!

Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone hunt Nebraska!?!

My dad and I are thinking about going to Nebraska for the early archery season. We were wondering just the basics about turkey hunting in Nebraska such as, where to hunt, what is the hunting like in Nebraska, etc. Any info would be a great help!!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

Try the Santee Reservation Park. You can pull it up on-line at www.santeeparkswildlife.com. It is $50 a bird, no license necessary. Allegedly, there are lots of birds.
Turkman
Old 01-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

How far do you want to go? Not sure about NE Nebraska but for South along the Platte River or Republican River has alot of birds. NW, the Pine Ridge area has Merriams.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

There's birds everywhere, even in the bluff country of the west where I live. Eastern NE will be more game rich and easier (even on/especially comparing--public). The west will have rough country and more/larger public areas to hunt. It's really about the experience YOU want.
Old 01-29-2011, 03:23 AM
Spike

X2 on what the others have said, I live about 20 miles from Santee and we definatly have birds of plenty

Ron
Old 01-29-2011, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the info guys, now I really have some thinking to do!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Spike

My friends and I have hunted Merriams the last two years. We first went to the Ponderosa WMA on April 30. The birds were not plentiful in the WMA at that time, but the hunters were. Seems most of them had not made their way from the river bottoms yet. We hunted hard, walked a lot, called a lot with different setups and saw very few birds. None came to any calls. Ended up getting one gobbler out of the 6 of us.
Last year we hunted with a guy we met in Ogallala on the way back home from our first hunt. Hunted the Platte river and saw a ton of birds. Same time frame, April 30. The 4 of us tagged out in 2 days of hunting.
This year we are going to a guy who advertised hunting on Craigslist in NE Neb. I can give you his name and number if you'd like to email me at [email protected]. He charges $50 to hunt his property. These are also true Merriams gobblers.
Craig