Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Call me crazy

Old 01-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default Call me crazy

Saturday night I was out coyote hunting with a buddy of mine under a full moon around some strip mine lakes. About 10:00 p.m., we were driving down the road with standing corn fields on both sides. On the other side of one of the corn fields, we stopped and began to call for coyotes. There were no trees for miles. While driving back through the corn field, there was a tom turkey coming out of the corn field at 10:30 p.m. We were both shocked to see a turkey on the ground coming out of a corn field at 10:30 p.m.! The bird was not injured because it flew when he was in front of my truck. We told each other we wouldn't say anything to anyone else because no one would believe us. However, it has been stuck in my mind since Saturday night. I talked to a buddy of mine in Nebraska and he said on Wednesday, he saw pheasants inside a field with a full moon about 20 yards inside the fields.

Has anyone else ever experienced this bizarre thing? Does it have something to do with the full moon? Has anyone seen this type of event lately?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

You're crazy!

well, you said to.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

Hmmm - that's interesting! I've never seen nor heard of that!!! Although... I think I know what I might be doing during the next full moon!!! LOL Some midnight scouting, perhaps!!!

Kim
Old 01-26-2011, 12:06 PM
JW
Super Moderator

There was enough twilight for this bird to function. Yes I have seen it. I am amazed at the roost fly-up times I have witnessed.
The other thint is this bird couldhave been bumped off its roost.

Some fly-ups where in pitch black. And if you bump a turkey off its roost way early in the morning where does it go? Usually to an open spot.

Would ike to hear others testimoney.

JW
Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

I've seen some late fly ups on a bright full moon but wow, that is late!

I wonder if he slept in the next morning!