Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting? >

What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting?

Old 01-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Spike

Default What is a good shotgun for turkey hunting?

I'm new to the turkey hunting scene and having only upland shotguns, what is a good type of shotgun for tukeys? I know everyone will say something different, but I have no idea really. What should I look for, and what should I avoid.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:15 PM
Spike

You could have just read this thread which was practically at the top of the page.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turk...y-hunting.html
Old 01-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Make lemonade out of lemons, make a turkey gun out of any shot gun.

its not about what kind or whatever, its about how you pattern, distance you can shoot, what load you are shooting, and how close you can get them to come in.

Any shot gun will work for turkey hunting, if you have a shot gun already then you more than likely can go out and find turkey loads or what ever your preferance is and be successfull, needs to have more power than regular bird shot or target load for greater distance and knockdown power but there's really no such thing as a "only turkey gun", shot guns are very versital on many types of game, so do some research on what you have already and you might be suprised on what your gun can really do with the right combinations such as, gauge, chokes, chambers, and loads.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by crisiynoadam
I'm new to the turkey hunting scene and having only upland shotguns, what is a good type of shotgun for tukeys? I know everyone will say something different, but I have no idea really. What should I look for, and what should I avoid.
Well, do you want to be a turkey hunter or a turkey shooter? If you want to be a good turkey hunter, master the call of your choice first and then any shotgun that is tuned right is a turkey gun....
Old 01-20-2011, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

What kind of shotgun do you have now?