Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Good single person Turkey blind? >

Good single person Turkey blind?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Good single person Turkey blind?

Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

Post Good single person Turkey blind?

I am going out to cabelas next weekend, and I hope to get a good 1 person blind setup for spring (and fall for that matter) thunderchickens. Maybe also usable for deer? Weekend after next I am going to the NYS Outdoorsmens show and then to Gander Mtn., so any of those places would be good (as far as where I can buy said blind).

Thanks,
BigBuck95
Old 01-09-2011, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

i picked up a magnum sized camo umbrella off of sportsmansguide i think im gonna try out this year....open it over your head if its raining (hooks to a tree) or open it in front of you as a blind. I was going to just spray paint a golf umbrella until i saw these on sale
Old 01-09-2011, 03:18 PM
JW
Super Moderator

With all the blinds avaialble to use out there be careful. You get what you pay for!

I have used many different blinds that are on the market today. Started with the simple rag blind to an umbrella blind to many different dog house type blinds and many different avery blinds. I bought a Double Bull and or 6 yrs now it has not failed.

Many blinds out there - while they work well don't last. The fabric on many shines, and will pull away from the blind supports. I don't brush or try to hide my blind as I want it to stick out to prevent other hunters from sneaking in on me. And the turkeys don't notice! Not at all.
I do use shady spots tho and try to keep my back to the sun.

One of my first was an Umbrella type blind which had a camo skirt. The windows are too small, no room for my chair and the center pole was in the way. While it did keep me dry the inside area was way to small and would not withstand winds.
I sat many an hour in an dog house and teepee type blinds. Those held up for no more than a season or two as the fabric could not take the abuse I gave it. Some fabrics actually turned blue.

So far my Double Bull has......

So my opinion - there is a lot of junk out there - you pay for what you get.

JW
Old 01-09-2011, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

My area walmart has a blind like this marked down to 30 bucks. It has the Remington name on it and the camo is not blue.
http://store.rogerssportinggoods.com...N-CHAIR/Detail

I bought one last year and it works OK. It is big enough for gun hunting, but not bows. It is noisey when the temps are below the teens. I shadowed a little black from a spray can and that took all the shine away. I even used it for ice fishing last week. Not at all bad for the price.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

I bought an umbrella blind like the one Sportsman's Guide sells, I liked it but only used it once, I found it to be stable when attached to a tree.

I am a minimalist, if I don't need it I wont carry it ( unless it's calls I may not even use, LOL ) I prefer to go light and be able to move on the turkeys if I need to, I have never been busted by turkeys even with many close encounters of 10 ft. or less. So no blinds for me.
I am going to try out my new leaf jacket this next season, never used one but Wing Supply had such a good sale on it what the heck, besides whats a season without a new gadget!