Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What is the best caliber to hunt wild pig,dear,turkey,and wolf? >

What is the best caliber to hunt wild pig,dear,turkey,and wolf?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is the best caliber to hunt wild pig,dear,turkey,and wolf?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Spike

Default What is the best caliber to hunt wild pig,dear,turkey,and wolf?

I am going hunting this year and am trying to learn what i can
Old 10-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Most would say that everyone should start out with some kind of rimfire (.22 or nowadays maybe a .17HMR).

The most important aspect of shooting well is to practice.

Use a rifle the has little to no recoil and is inexpensive to shoot (ammo is cheap).

Once you are comfortable shooting and handling a rifle safely & accurately; the sky is the limit !

Otherwise, you might develope some bad habits that will haunt you for the rest of your shooting days !

Do it right the first time................................
Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Be sure to research your state and area laws.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Spike

First off, I think you mean deer and secondly, shotguns are used rather than rifles for turkey. but if i had to suggest several calibers for all the game you listed i would say; 30-06, 243, 270, 300wsm,25-06, or any other caliber that is about that size. Happy hunting!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by kittitascountyhunter
...shotguns are used rather than rifles for turkey..
First off, this is not always true and I've personally seen how some members of this forum are extremely offensive when they discuss this topic (not that kittiascountyhunter was, but MANY are). Beware of the firestorm you may create with this subject.

Secondly, some states' fall turkey season overlaps with deer season, and therefore require blaze orange be worn. No one will EVER get close enough to a turkey to shoot it with a shotgun or bow while decked out in blaze orange. Hence, rifles are allowed in these areas.

Virginia and Colorado are two such places I know of. CHECK YOUR STATE'S LAWS!

As to caliber, well, that's like asking, "Chevy, Ford, or Dodge?" I will suggest, though, that you probably want to hunt coyote, NOT wolf, as wolves are endangered and can't be hunted anywhere I know of. Of course, someone will jump in with a small locale that allows it, which is why I said "that I know of."
Old 10-23-2010, 01:22 AM
Spike

Smile

Originally Posted by kittitascountyhunter
First off, I think you mean deer and secondly, shotguns are used rather than rifles for turkey. but if i had to suggest several calibers for all the game you listed i would say; 30-06, 243, 270, 300wsm,25-06, or any other caliber that is about that size. Happy hunting!
Hey there friend!

You can't go wrong with a Winchester .30-.30 model '94, stainless steel in synthetic. It'll last a lifetime with little or no rust or scratches. It will also hold its value. However, before you purchase the model '94 lever action, I would advise you to get a Winchester
.22 LR lever-action, first. Get some spray paint, find a tree, and paint certain leaves. Practice hitting those leaves from 20 yds., then 30 yds., and then 50 yds. You'll then be ready for your .30-.30. The
.30-06 bolt-action is also a good all around rifle!

PS.

To Kittitascountyhunter:

I shot my first three turkeys with a .22 magnum. After that I bought a 12 gauge Mossberg.

.22LR and mags work quite well on turkeys...

Last edited by Koanbred; 10-23-2010 at 01:41 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ralphdye
I am going hunting this year and am trying to learn what i can
i have a savage over under 12 gauge/ .223
for deer and pig and all that use a .270 win
Old 04-09-2012, 03:12 AM
Spike

best all around, I feel is the 6mm /243 if you are hunting long range.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:54 AM
Spike

.223 is about the most versatile round that will do fine on every animal you mentioned. As kid answered, find an over/under .223/12ga. and that would pretty much get you in the game for everything up to deer size. Don't get wrapped up in the "shotgun only" BS for turkeys, to each their own on that one.