HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Turkey Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting-5/)
-   -   My First Turkey Ever !! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/turkey-hunting/330926-my-first-turkey-ever.html)

Phil from Maine 09-30-2010 03:14 PM

My First Turkey Ever !!

Well I had to get up this morning at 3am so as I could be on the road by 4am.. It was around a 3 hour drive for me to get into the fall archery zone for turkeys. It was quite foggy heading out for most of the drive and when I got to the zone I saw nothing for quite a while. After riding around checking the place out seeing nothing but posted land I decided to try another area in the zone. Around 8:30 I saw a nice flock of turkeys and they took for the woods. I checked to make sure it wasn't posted and walked down a field beside where I saw the birds. There was a nice rock wall with a large log laying on it for cover. I tried some yelps and a few cutting calls and waited. I heard a turkey flutter it wings and when I tried to look I was busted and off they went.

So I drove down the road a ways and saw another flock with mostly just toms and jakes in it. I looked the area over and wouldn't you know it. It was posted so no chance of trying for them.

I drove a ways further and discover another flock of turkeys. So I checked it all out and it was not posted so I went in and broke the flock up. They were young birds with hens that flew everywhere. So I found a spot to sit and call to watch for the birds to return which only took around 10 minutes. I see a couple of them and they took running. One stopped up for a second around 25 yards away. I drew back and wham I had just shot my very first turkey every. It was a hen which we are allowed to shoot 1 during our fall hunt. I was pretty excited about getting one with my bow and for a very first bird with a stick and string it feels great. I know some may think well it is just a hen and that is OK with me. I am glad to finally be able to say I shot a turkey!!

Here is a pic of it after I made the drive back home. Also another pic of my 3yr old grandson trying to help papa..

Phil from Maine 09-30-2010 04:00 PM

Thanks R.R. !!

turkman1 09-30-2010 04:16 PM

Nice Turk congrats with a bow

Arrowmaster 09-30-2010 06:35 PM

Congrats on a fine bird :)

Teddee5 10-01-2010 07:28 AM

Turkey with a bow is a real challenge, Congraulations. The chance of it either running or flying off after being hit is pretty high. Like a friend of mine said, break the spine, neck or head cause the chance of breaking a leg and wing at the same time is not good.

mac266 10-01-2010 03:13 PM

Very nice!

Turkey Goddess 10-02-2010 04:20 PM

Congrats Phil!!!! That's awesome! Your grandson is proud of you too!!! :)

Kim :)

SJAdventures 10-02-2010 06:24 PM

Any turkey with a bow is a true feat. Congrats on a great kill.

Phil from Maine 10-03-2010 01:14 PM

Thanks everyone.. Yeah, I agree that with a bow alot can go wrong..It all came together and it felt great.. Thanks again everyone..

Whitetailmadness 10-03-2010 03:15 PM

Dont get me wrong here,but Im a bit confused. If you drive upon some piece of land and as long as it has no posted signs you feel its yours to hunt? Simply because it doesnt have signs doesnt mean its for everyone to hunt on. In my state if land is posted you must have written permission from the owner to hunt it,if it's not you must have verbal permission. Im not slamming you by any means only trying to prevent you from getting a costly citation. Im happy that you got you're first bird,but if you were on private land and was caught hunting on it you would find that bird to be really expensive.