Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

safety question.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:52 PM
Spike

Default safety question.

Ive been a waterfowl hunter for years now, and this year ill be hunting turkey for the first time. my question is,ive heard turkey have good eyesight, so can they see you wearing blaze? Im not to thrilled about walking or sitting around in the woods without it.I have had some real close calls from deer hunters in the past.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I assume you are talking about fall turkey hunting during a deer season. I would say safety is the most important thing.... certainly more important than game. I wouldn't wear camo during deer season unless I knew I was on private land and there wasn't any chance of having someone else in the woods. Turkey have amazing eyesight and no doubt would be able to pick you out but then again so will the other hunters in the woods. If I hunted for turkey in deer season I would wear the blaze orange camo just for safety sake. I would rather bag tag soup than become a statistic. In the spring tom only season I wear full camo but when on the move I often pull out the orange flaps out of my vest if I am in an area with a lot of other turkey hunters. When I set up I sit with my back to a large tree and keep my eyes and ears on alert for another hunter.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 09-12-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:37 PM
JW
Super Moderator

This topic was moved to the general Turkey Hunting forum as it will get more viewers here.

Specific tips and tircks are archived how to artilces for our members

Now one could also hang blaze tape around the tree they choose to sit against. That will help.

But while turkey hunting - trust your camo and sit against trees as wide as your shoulders or wider. Never sit in a bush and make sure you have no brush in front of you. That is the traditional way to turkey hunt and yes they have tremendous eyesight!

Stalking turkeys is illegal in some states so read and know your regs of where you are hunting.

JW
Old 09-24-2010, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

1st, turkey can distinguish colors.2nd havin to wear orange while huntin turkey is like puttin a band aid on a chainsaw cut.Before Pa. made it mandatory to wear orange for fall turkey, we had some slob hunters(didn't identify the target,shootin at sounds etc.etc.) in this state.Now we still have some slob hunters just wearin orange.Back when the orange rule was bein decided on by the Pa. Game Com. I was fairly active in the NWTF.The state chapter offered the state $250,000 to put towards turkey hunter safety education,if they wouldn't vote for the orange.They said they were gonna pass the orange law but would still be glad to take the money.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Spike

Default Safety question

From what i hear turkeys can see color, which is an issue in this situation. I think that you might be able to get by with some orange, but your percentage of killing a turkey would be greatly decreased. But its all about what is the most comfortable for you, anyway its better to be safe than sorry. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW!

But while turkey hunting - trust your camo and sit against trees as wide as your shoulders or wider. Never sit in a bush and make sure you have no brush in front of you. That is the traditional way to turkey hunt

JW
Good info until you hunt Texas