Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Hunting with dogs (labs) >

Hunting with dogs (labs)

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunting with dogs (labs)

Old 07-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting with dogs (labs)

I have a chocolate lab pup and would like to train her to hunt turkeys. Any and all information you could provide would be appreciated. I'm not sure if this has been a recent thread. If it has maybe you could direct me to it.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:13 AM
Fork Horn

you dont hunt turkeys with dogs....they will fly away
Old 07-24-2010, 05:38 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Not true syrup - Fall hunting can be done with a dog as the dog is trained to find the flock, bust up that flock and bay when it has done so. The hunter then goes to the baying dog - sets up and does an assembly call like the Lost Hen call or Kee-Kee- run to call soem birds back.

Google turkey dogs as there is a wealth if info out there.

JW
Old 07-24-2010, 08:02 AM
JW
Super Moderator

This might help

http://hunting.suite101.com/article....rkey_with_dogs

JW
Old 07-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

It is as JW says. I had a dog that was a mix of about 4 bird dogs. I trained him to hunt fall birds and I can tell you that it is a lot of work to train a dog. Need to get him into birds as often as possible and get him excited to bark and break the birds. My dog was only 4 years old when I had to put him down due to epilepsy, his last year he did not hunt but he got me turkeys 2 of his hunting seasons. It is very rewarding when it comes together, you'll never be more proud.

Jim