Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Do you have Turkey chicks already??? >

Do you have Turkey chicks already???

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do you have Turkey chicks already???

Old 05-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do you have Turkey chicks already???

Today here in Ontario Canada I saw my first Turkey chicks this year right in my back yard. I was wondering why the hen wouldn't leave with me approaching at 20 yards and when she did start to walk I can see little chicks (1day or 2 days old) following her. I had to back off in a hurry not to scare her. Sorry no pictures as I didn't want to disturb them too much in this wet day. If we get a dry June it will be a good year for young Turkeys this year. Of course predators have to be accounted for also.The chicks are susceptible to cold and wet weather when they are still small but big enough that they can't all fit underneath the hen to get warmth during a cold and wet weather.
Well it was exciting to see them today.
How about in your area, anybody seen if they have hatched yet?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Florida has them showing up now
Old 05-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Hoping to hear of some here in Ky. Kinda nervous about it after the flooding rains of may 1st & 2nd!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Wife's grandfather said he had a hen come through w/ 12 poults the other day...
I have yet to see any... must have been an early hatch.
Old 05-29-2010, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

This year is the earliest I have seen them in our parts. Maybe it is early all over. Anyway I hope there will be lots more of them next year.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Lots of turkey chicks/poults up this way to right now. I saw a pile of them this last week of the season.. My last day out was on Tuesday and saw eight hens with chicks and three small hens without any. This is way early for up in our area.. Here is a pic of a few of the poults from last weeks outing. The hen had jumped over the rocks and the poults were following her.

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 06-08-2010 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Updated with a pic from last week..
Old 06-06-2010, 05:16 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't seen any here in Indiana - would REALLY love to!!! I'm with turk2di - I'm a little nervous about all the rain we've had, hoping they were able to nest and hatch ok!!!!!

Kim
Old 06-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Spike

Just got back from my training grounds, and there was a hen with 5 poults on the hiking trail, just inside the entrance. We have had rain pretty much everyday this week, with a real gully washer last night, so so far so good. I would worry more about sudden cold snaps, then anything else.

My 2 cents,

Roy
Old 06-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Typical Buck

We went out to my ol' hunting spot this evening - saw 10 turkeys out in one of the fields. Guess what we didn't have with us??? Binocs... Grrr.... Hubby thought he saw poults though - I wasn't able to see any... man - where were they during turkey season???... DANG TURKS!!! LOL

Kim
Old 06-06-2010, 04:03 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Tho he did not wake me up this morning - the buddy I was staying with as I was judgiing dogs saw a Wolf - flush a hen off a nest only to eat the eggs!

Dang!

Would have liked to seen that!

Was in Central Wisc. just south of Wisc Rapids!

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.