Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Too quick

Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Too quick

Did you every have a season that went too well and was too quick. While I am not complaining about the success, this season almost went too well. I managed to call in a nice two year old on opening day. He had a hen with him early and I set up where I had seen some strut marks in a logging road when I was scouting. I made some soft clucks an purrs and eventually he came up the hill right to the strut area but I didn't let him get there and dropped him at 8:50.

I did not get to go again until the second week. Went out on Wednesday and it was very cold. The turkeys were all quite and although I managed to see four out in a field nothing would work. I went back out that Friday and and managed to get lucky and kill a big tom (20.5 lb, 11 inch beard and one spur at 1.5 inches and the other 1 5/8). He also had a hen with him and she took him away early but she decided to come back and check me out and she led him to his demise at 7:10.

It was a great season and I don't mean to sound like I am not thankfull (it was the most successful season I have ever had) but it all happened so quickly that I feel like I missed out a little on not having to chase the birds a little more. Has anyone else ever felt that way? Given the choice I will take this year to other years where I have hunted 5 or 6 days and not gotten a bird but it still is a little different feeling.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:58 PM
j76
Typical Buck

We can only take one here in michigan. Im usually done by the third day wishing it lasted longer. This yr i hunted harder than ever and finally shot a small jake on the last day!By the time it was over i was mentally and physically drained, wife was ticked at me and i had spent way too much money!! But if i could still hunt,.....hell yeah id be out there!!! so yeah!!!! no matter what happens,... they always end too quick for me!!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

I had the same problem this year, My uncle came on Thursday around noon, we went to the woods around 2 pm. I hit the crow call, my uncle thought he heard a gobble in the distance. So we found a pair of trees to sit by about 20 feet apart. I hit the mouth call and heard a distant gobble as well. The bird was on another property and we had a large alfalfa hillside dropping into a wooded valley where the bird was located. We sat close to the fence splitting the property. I waited a few minutes and yelped again, and heard the gobble. A Hawk flew over and screached and the bird gobbled again. I waiting another 2 or 3 minutes and yelped and the next gobble was within 30 yards just over the hill, he must have been on a full on run to the call. I raised my gun and I his head appeared just across the fence and he stood there neck craned looking for a hen. Boom, 23 pounds 10 inch beard and it took all of 5 minutes in the middle of the afternoon.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

I too had the same problem this year, hunted opening day with no success. A good friend and I always do a week's hunt in April and it was a great success. I shot three mature toms in three days and he shot two mature toms. We almost pulled off three doubles in three consecutive days. My season was over after the third bird. On the plus side this season has made up for those that I didn't harvest or even see a bird. I posted pics of our week in this forum under "Great week of Hunting"