Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Smaller the better??? 20" Barrel??? >

Smaller the better??? 20" Barrel???

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Smaller the better??? 20" Barrel???

Old 05-09-2010, 06:21 AM
Spike

Default Smaller the better??? 20" Barrel???

Hi everyone, I have a Browning BPS slug/deer gun that I bought a 28" barrel for (to shoot waterfowl). I decided that I'd like to go turkey hunting, so I just ordered a 20" Browning Turkey Special barrel for it. It's going to arrive the day after tomorrow, so maybe I'm a little late in asking this, but is a 20 inch barrel too short? I figure it must be okay since that's how browning makes it, but I noticed none of Browning's "turkey guns" have anything shorter than a 22" barrel. The dimensions of the stock are the same as other similar guns for turkey. Has anyone ever fired a shotgun out of a 20" barrel? Will this also be good for upland game? Or personal defense? Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look through other posts about barrel length and turkey hunting. There's a lot of informative responses given. The main reason turkey barrels are made short is for weight considerations and lugging a turkey gun through heavy cover.

Short barrels for wingshooting....not a good idea. A lot of shooters assume a shorter barrel will help them point faster (snap shoot). Shortening the barrel will move the balance point backwards, making the gun stock heavy. A stock heavy gun will be more difficult to swing smoothly. You may be able to point at the right spot when swinging on a bird, but can you keep it where it needs to be?

Everybody's different, but 20" for upland seems too short, unless it's for a dedicated youth gun. (or you add weight to the fore end to move the balance point forward) For upland shooting, a barrel in the area of 26" ought to do.

It's easier to convert a shotgun for wingshooting to turkey than the other way around.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Spike

Not that anyone appears interested, but I received it today and I think it's going to be okay. It's a 20.5" barrel, but the choke brings it to about 22", so I assume that's okay. I haven't been to the range to sight it in yet.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have fun. Try a few diff turkey loads and choke combinations when you get the chance. I want to see a picture next season of a big ol' longbeard you busted with your BPS "beard blaster"
Old 05-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

yeah 20 inches should be fine. Since you will be shooting turkey at short range any performance you lose from the shorter barrel will be negligible. plus the shorter barrel will make for a handier easier to maneuver gun - good luck with it
Old 05-15-2010, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

The ammo companies base there shell velocites on a 30" barrel. So you loose so much per inch as you go shorter in barrel length. A 24-26" barrel is about perfect. Only advantage to that short of barrel is ease of movement in the woods. Does it really matter? Not really, personal preference all the way.