Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Waited 30 years for this picture! >

Waited 30 years for this picture!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Waited 30 years for this picture!

Old 05-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Spike

Default Waited 30 years for this picture!

Hello All! Been turkey hunting off and on since I've been 12 years old, finally started getting serious about it a couple of years ago after a few friends got me hooked and showed me what I was missing. Well with the help I got from lurking on this forum and getting great tips on shell, pattern and choke info, I'd like to thank everyone and show the results of all the trips to the range and prep work. Shot this bird @ 7:00 am opening morning at 35 yards, we called him out to where I was set up and let the Hevi-shot fly from my new Remington 870. O.K. now the good stuff - beard measured 10.25" with 1" spurs, sorry don't know the weight but if I didn't know any better after humpin' this bird out of the woods I'd say 80 pounds!!! Now the only decision to make is what kind of mount to get for my first gobbler!!

Old 05-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Westcreek, that is just awesome. Congrats on your 1st bird and a huge welcome to the site and posting. Looking forward to hearing the tale of your hunt. How did you feel as he was coming in and did you do the calling? What kind of calls were used to bring him in?

As to types of mounts, I personally have never cared for floor mounts, as they take up so much room. Here is a pic of the only one I have had mounted.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:05 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I can offer a mount idea too and I am glad we at HNI where able to help! Man 30 yrs!

Congratulations....

Things to consider when mounting.
1. Do you want a freezed dried head (Yours that is original) or a Plastic knockoff need to ask that. Some taxidermists don;t do freeze dried.
2. Look where you are going to display tyour mount. A flying mount will take a 6ft by 6ft wall easy - do yo have dogs or animals or kids that will need to be thought of?
3. A Floor or table mount takes a 3 ft by 3ft area.

I went like deerdust to save space

I have 2 mounted a bearded hen and a double bearded tom

And my hen

JW
Old 05-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Westcreek,

Nice bird - great job !

You're back in it now, for sure....................

Start shooting some yotes now; we'll ya !
Old 05-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats, nice bird. I would opt for a 1/2 strut bird of a limb.

Question about your setup. What choke are you using with your 870? What kind of patterns are you holding at 40 yards? Just curious. Congrats again.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your Gobbler!!!

For an idea of what kind of mount you would like... check out Hazel Creek Taxidermys website. They have a bunch of awesome mounts and position photos on the site to see what you like the most.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Spike

Thanks all!! My buddy did most of the calling on a couple of slates he carries but I let out a few on mine to get him coming in my direction. He was gobblin' hot right off the roost. He shut for a few minutes before I actually saw him coming at me. It was pretty intense the last 15 minutes when he was coming in. What a rush!
I'm using a Jelly Head choke (.665) with 3.5" Hevi-13 #4's. Believe it or not they actually gave me the best pattern out of my 20" barrel @ 40 yards - even better than Winchester Supreme Elites #6's?? I did not get a chance to try the new Magnum Blend Hevi-13's, but I will before the fall.
Nice mounts guy's!! I do really like the half strut mounts - I'd like one walking on the ground but still like to hang it? I do have a dog (make that a 5 month old lab puppy) so it has to be out of dog height! I did check out Hazel Creek and mount# tk-106 is definitely what I'm thinking - but need it up and out of the way. Deerdust, your mount (on the limb) is cool as well, what a tough - but fun decision to make! I have a local taxidermist that did a deer head mount a few years back for me and did a great job. I'll be going in Monday to get some specifics and get a few ideas.
Please also keep the ideas coming! Thanks Again.....
Old 05-02-2010, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

About how much are full body mounts running these days? And what do you need to do with the bird? Can you breast out the meat, or will that mess it up? Just wondering.

Nice bird man!
Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats... glad the hard work & time paid off! Beautiful bird.
I have a regular full strut mount on my largest. This is the only pic of it I have handy and it doesn't do it justice... very nice mount though..

Last edited by Western MA Hunter; 05-03-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Spike

Nice Bird!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.