Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Where are we now? Midwest Hunters >

Where are we now? Midwest Hunters

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Where are we now? Midwest Hunters

Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Where are we now? Midwest Hunters

I have my season starting next Wednesday. What does it look like out there, breeding, nesting, some of both. Midday looking better right now? I have been seeing birds but I haven't seen anything that looks like a pattern, just see a bird here and there, sometimes a tom sometimes a hen. If anyone has an incling as to what is working right now I'd like to hear it. I have some blinds set up for roosting areas, and I have permissions to hunt a couple farms for running and gunning.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:53 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Today in Wisc.

Temp was 47 degrees - the moon was out full most of the night. Morning was partly cloudy and a front is moving in.
Heard one set of Gobbles at 5:40 AM. None after that. Did a bit of sporadic calling -

Did get gobbled at by 6:15 AM and worked 2 Toms both of which where close but went silent. I beleive they hooked up with hens. Waited 20 minutes did a bit of racket calling with a turpin Yelper and got Gobbled at again to which called in this Tom at 7:40 AM.

He came in Strutting - Bud shot him 1.5 paces away!
21 lbs 8 oz - 10.5 beard and inch spurs and hooked to a point. Three yr old!
He was all alone - has been breeding as he has a calous -

We did a bit more scouting for hunting the next few weeks and saw 3 nice toms all with out hens......So I am willing to bet - find the hens find the toms - wait them out the toms will be alone and very callable.

Will post pics -

JW
Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by JW!
Today in Wisc.

Temp was 47 degrees - the moon was out full most of the night. Morning was partly cloudy and a front is moving in.
Heard one set of Gobbles at 5:40 AM. None after that. Did a bit of sporadic calling -

Did get gobbled at by 6:15 AM and worked 2 Toms both of which where close but went silent. I beleive they hooked up with hens. Waited 20 minutes did a bit of racket calling with a turpin Yelper and got Gobbled at again to which called in this Tom at 7:40 AM.

He came in Strutting - Bud shot him 1.5 paces away!
21 lbs 8 oz - 10.5 beard and inch spurs and hooked to a point. Three yr old!
He was all alone - has been breeding as he has a calous -

We did a bit more scouting for hunting the next few weeks and saw 3 nice toms all with out hens......So I am willing to bet - find the hens find the toms - wait them out the toms will be alone and very callable.

Will post pics -

JW

Thanks JW

So they are still probably pretty hot into breeding. I am guessing things are about where they should be at this time.
Its tough waiting this long to get in the woods when I LIVE on the farm I am hunting. With a new little one and work I don't have much time to drive around, nor do I want to mess with them until I can sit and wait for one to come.

Thanks again