Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Roosting Birds

Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 AM
Spike

Default Roosting Birds

Hey guys, been turkey hunting several years with decent success but it seems like this year my birds aren't roosting in the same place every nite. I love setting up knowing exactly where their roosting(makes it a little easier). Here is my question, I can't get the birds to respond to anything in the evenings! I have tried everything, owl hoot, hawk screamer, coyote call, duck and goose calls! I have literally tried everything and can't get a bird to respond in any of the areas I hunt. I know they hear me because they will gobble the next morning on the opposite side of the ridge I am sitting! If you guys have any advice I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

When the birds are tight beaked at roosting time, I've had succes doing some loud cutting on a box or diaphragm call.

A gunshot, or smacking a couple 2' pieces of a 2x4 together will usually get them to shock gobble as well.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Spike

Gobblers are funny sometimes. You might sneeze and one will gobble at you but if they don't want to talk there is nothing you can do to get a gobble out of one of them.. I've hunted several states and have hunted for many years and in some areas I just never hear gobbles in the evening, but in some areas they gobble a lot in the evening as if it were morning time..

There are some areas I hunt where like in your situation you know they are roosting there in the evening and when I try to get a gobble in the evening I don't get a single peep out of them only to go back to the same spot the next morning and have several birds gobbling their heads off..

I told you they are funny birds....
Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Spike

Yes they are funny birds, thank you guys! Kenman I've never heard of the 2 x 4 trick. I'll give it a try. I am bad about losing calls from season to season, that's one I'll never lose!
Goodluck guys!