Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

beards & spurs.....

Old 04-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default beards & spurs.....

I have a few laying around. What do you all do with yours? I am looking for constructive ideas. I already have a couple of fans and and a nice mount. I guess I could make a broom.

bb

Old 04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know what I did, I had about that many beards laying in my hunting room in my basement. Well I left to dog out one day and she destroyed 6 of them!! Chewed them right up!! Pissed me off so bad. I dont know why I have her around after that. Anyways, dont know what you should do, but don't leave them in reach of you lab....lol
Old 04-28-2010, 04:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jepcho
I know what I did, I had about that many beards laying in my hunting room in my basement. Well I left to dog out one day and she destroyed 6 of them!! Chewed them right up!! Pissed me off so bad. I dont know why I have her around after that. Anyways, dont know what you should do, but don't leave them in reach of you lab....lol
my dads dog did that to one of mine i left in his shop to dry out i have a few now and i have been saving the shotgun shells also and i was gonna hot glue the beard into the open end of the shotgun shell and make sum kind of wooden hanger that i could slide or drop the shell in and glue the spurs on either side of the shell. I havent done it yet or i would send a picture.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:21 AM
Typical Buck

Bob - I know JW does something similar to what krabbiepatty was saying (gluing the beards in the shell casings) and he may have a picture. I was thinking about doing this as well. They make some really nice wood display pieces to showcase beard collections. Some of them run pretty high ($$$) but if you're handy with tools, I'd be willing to bet you could look at a few examples and make something real nice for yourself.

krabbiepatty - I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with to showcase your shell casings and beards - when you do it.

Kim
Old 04-28-2010, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know.......I love spring gobbler hunting......but i got so many fans and beards and spurs.....i now just mainly hunt the hens in the fall here in Ohio.....but i still get out and hunt the spring just to hear the symphony of gobblers on the roost, but i pass up birds 3 yrs and younger. I only shoot one if he is a big ol Hook daddy!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

You get that good a view of spurs before you shoot? Are you in a blind, on a putting green?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use the McKenzi Cedar beard displays... don't have a pic of mine handy, but here is what it is... looks very nice...
I just put my spurs on a raw after treating them.. I just keep them in salt for a month or so and make sure everything is cleard out in there... then coat them w/ clear nail polish and string them up... like a necklace...

here is the link to the mckenzie ,,,

http://www.mckenziesp.com/Turkey-C1840.aspx

Last edited by Western MA Hunter; 04-28-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

I think if you get a few more spurs like you have lined up there, you'd have a pretty good chain saw chain...