Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Blind or no Blind

Old 04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Spike

Default Blind or no Blind

I have a small blind I was thinking of using for Turkey this year. It folds up small and is easy to pack/unpack. Aside from the negative of carrying it in why not use it?

Most turkey hunters don't seem to use a blind why is that?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

birds eyes bigger than its brain...i like to be able to move my eye lids, and my head to look around... if the turkey are near and ya bat an eye, they will abort what ever they are doin and dip like Baskin Robins double scoop covered in chocolate. the blind gives ya a lil movin room, to maybe turn to shoot, unless you got your turkeys trained to stand in a particular area so ya can blast em, and yer plannin on keepin perfectly still
Old 04-23-2010, 12:51 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Traditonal Turkey hunting is done with out the aid of a blind or decoys. That is how many where taught and some stay to that tradition. Some die hards even Poo-poo the use of blinds -
However ~~~~~~~~~~
More birds are killed because of the use of blinds as blinds do not need to be brushed in or hidden. Those tent like blinds can even be put out in the wide open middle of a field and they will work and work very well!

I use several types of blinds from the simple panel type which folds up nice to fit in a vest (called rag blind) to the Double Bull!

Blinds used as these are better to be put in the shadows. I always make note of the position of the sun and keep that at my back. I do not wear any type of head net or blacken in my face but do sit as far back int he DB as I can. Yes it is very comfortable but can get hot on warm days!

Blinds and the use of, have opened up the world of turkey hunting to many more hunters and those hunters have taken many birds because of the us of blinds.

So each to their own.....

The Traditional way is without a blind or a decoy. it is the toughest challenge..

So you pick on how yo want to hunt -

JW
Old 04-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The use of blinds and realistic decoys have changed the way I hunt. Honestly, this technique has been responsible for more birds in the last 5 years for me and my hunters than I've probably taken in the last 10 years with lesser blinds and cheaper decoys..... they truly make a difference!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:00 PM
G92
Fork Horn

blinds prevent the run and gun method,thats why i dont use them.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by G92
blinds prevent the run and gun method,thats why i dont use them.
But in turn they make the hunter concentrate more on successful scouting techniques and also won't spook all the birds that you'll never know about when your "running and gunning". Just like trophy class whitetails.... it's hard to beat a well scouted, well selected ambush location for tagging a mature animal.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

This year was the first time I sat in a blind and did it only because my daughter hunted with me. I would prefer the traditional way and sit on the ground just because of tradition. But, man, I couldn't believe how close the hen was to us as the Tom followed from behind...like 5 feet away. And even with all the movement my daughter was making trying to get her gun up and the shot off (probably close to 5 minutes), the birds never had a clue we were there. So there are advantages to a blind, but at the expense of tradition. If tradition is important to you, a blind is probably not going to appeal to you. But as far as I am concerned, they sure are comfortable, rain or shine!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
birds eyes bigger than its brain...i like to be able to move my eye lids, and my head to look around... if the turkey are near and ya bat an eye, they will abort what ever they are doin and dip like Baskin Robins double scoop covered in chocolate. the blind gives ya a lil movin room, to maybe turn to shoot, unless you got your turkeys trained to stand in a particular area so ya can blast em, and yer plannin on keepin perfectly still

This is possibly the perfect explanation of why to use a blind!
Deff. go with the blind, man!
BigBuck95
Old 04-23-2010, 06:10 PM
Spike

I don't know who makes the one that I use, but it would be more appropriately called a screen. It is 12' long and about 2' high constructed of leafy fabric, with nylon corded collapsible legs (like tent polls) every 3' or so. it sets up in a minute or two, weighs about 1-2 lbs and is very mobile. Packed up it is about 18" long and 2-3" dia. You can easily fit two hunters in it and it is easy to stick some sticks or logs around to add more realism. It doesn't completely contain you from the birds sight, but it does give you a significantly more concealment than just sitting under a tree.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

A small blind is helpful if you're hunting with a bow but there's no need for one with a gun.If a bird gets close enough to be spooked by seeing you blink I don't know what to tell you other than you should have shot him a LOT sooner.They have good sight but c'mon!!!That bird would have to be close enough to get his feathers burned by the muzzle flash to spot that .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.