Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Does anyone know what turkeys do during the day?! >

Does anyone know what turkeys do during the day?!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Does anyone know what turkeys do during the day?!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default Does anyone know what turkeys do during the day?!

All last season and also today the turkeys gobble like mad on the roost, fly down, gobble for another 20 minutes or so, then shut up and can't be found. I didn't hear a single hen this morning and I was set up about 80 yards from the roost and neither of the 2 toms right there would come over to me.

Once they are down from the roost and going through their daily routine, how do you find them since they won't gobble? Is it worth hunting during the mid day really?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Well IMO, They feed all day long. Mostly late morning to midday they like to hit fields.
But more than likely those two Toms had the real deal hen with them. Or they would have probably checked you out this morning.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PABUCKTRACKER View Post
more than likely those two Toms had the real deal hen with them. Or they would have probably checked you out this morning.
My guess as well. If they have hens close, they'll gobble on roost like mad, pitch down and gobble to assemble his harem. Then he'll be in strut for awhile (gobbling lull). He'll be strutting and all of a sudden he'll look around and his hens have disappeared to go feed and nest. This is when they'll start seeking hens and will respond again to your calls. Walk through the woods giving the occasional crow call or some loud cutting. If you get a response to your cutting, set up, cause he is on his way.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by natimage View Post
Is it worth hunting during the mid day really?
It's worth turkey hunting anytime during the day. Mid day or early evening hunts can be great. I have killed many birds from 11:00 to 12:00 and from 3:00 to 5:00. The gobblers are looking for hens at these times. Of course if there are too many hens, it's going to be tough regardless of what time it is. If a gobbler has hens with him, he may never gobble, even on roost. There is no need for him to if he already has hens with him. If those hens leave to go nest, then he will be looking for more. This is when mid day hunting can be good.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Eat and reproduce!