Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
turkeys do fly over rivers >

turkeys do fly over rivers

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkeys do fly over rivers

Old 04-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default turkeys do fly over rivers

ive heard on alot of occasions people saying turkeys dont like to flyover rivers i beg to differ 2 of the places were i hunt the turkeys really arent that picky in one of them they actually perfer to flyover to the other side to roost and come back in the morning to feed plus if a tom wants a hen bad enough he'll fly over to your calls just throwing it out there in my situation it really doesnt matter
Old 04-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where we hunt, it's common for them to roost on one side of the river and fly down to the opposite bank in the morning. We've also called them across streams occasionally. But we never count on it
Old 04-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Where we hunt, it's common for them to roost on one side of the river and fly down to the opposite bank in the morning. We've also called them across streams occasionally. But we never count on it

I've done it only once with a bird already on the ground... old canal in SC. Got a group of four to fly across. Competition always helps.

A single bird all by himself (an eastern anyway) usually its a loser... Osceloas are used to water, and Rios are just crazy and not much will stop them it seems.

Not too tough to get one on the roost to pitch down across one. Lots of birds like to roost over or near water. As long as a hen doesn't go to him closer in, its not that uncommon.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

All the turkeys in SW wisconsin came from Iowa, There is a big river they had to cross to populate our part of the state. They did some stocking in Iowa County but Grant County and Crawford county had no stockings, the birds flew over from Iowa where they were stocked. However, not as a rule but often times, the smallest of obstacles will keep a turkey away. I have had them cross 3 fences to come to me and I have them walk back and forth for an hour at 60 yards gobbling but not want to cross the fence. It's a mood thing.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I remember back few years ago calling two Osceola's across the Fisheating Creek. They will fly across water no problem...
Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

Yes that myth is busted!!Turkeys fly over water rivers etc.
I even called them down a ridge,If u ever heard that tale that turkeys wont come down hill?But Ive noticed over the yrs.Like was stated,Its competition,When there are more then one turkey coming,Its least likely when its a single turkey.They do just about anything there not suppose to,When theres more then one.Just to be the 1st one there!!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Spike

I think it all depends on how bad they want it, if the tom is alone and looking for love flying over a river or down a ridge might be worth the effort. but if he has hen(s) already why go to all that trouble?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

The place I hunt has a river splitting two pastures and the turkeys fly over it at least twice a day. I saw a jake fly over and back in less than an hours time. If they are used to it they really dont seem to care.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:14 AM
JW
Super Moderator

They also will wade 6 to 8 inches of water at times!

JW
Old 04-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Spike

I've seen them from the Treestand in Iowa Fly over to Neb and back on several Occasions . Kind of Cool..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.