Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

how to roost a turkey

Old 04-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Spike

Default how to roost a turkey

there is a big gobbler that has been gobbling some in the mornings but i hunt the other side of my property every time i go. how can i roost the bird tonight so i can know where to set up in the morning?
Old 04-09-2010, 03:52 AM
Spike

also is there a difference between a fly up and fly down cackle?? i could try that
Old 04-09-2010, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

ive always gone out a little before dusk and got within a couple hundred yards of where they roost (where they cant see me) and blew my crow call as i would in the morning. this only works well if you know everything about your ground (most people do) but yeah then come back in the morning and set up where you think they will walk after fly down your best bet is probably 100-150 yards off the roost, that dosnt give them much time to break off. just sit tight and dont call at all until they fly down. oh and have a decoy out jake and hen if you have it, if not a hen works fine.

as for your other question, i do not think there is any difference, check out nwtf.com they have alot of "sounds" turkeys make im not sure if that is on there but its worth a try
Old 04-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Here they always seem to gobble in the early morning with out any calling or locator calls while their on the roost.So i get in BEFORE opening day and listen just as its gettn light they give themselves up and i sneak out of woods.Then in the early morning under the cover of darkness i sneak in walking a couple ft at a time then stopping scratchn leaves with ft.immitating a turkey walkn thru,but no CALLN.tryn to close the distance. always try n get above them if huntn ridge etc.remember dont set up to far away!If in wooded area.
Good luck and have fun...Remember safety orange.Till u get set up.With the foliage and cover of darkness turks will never see u comining in but will hear u on calm mornings.This is just my opinion,this has worked well for me....
Old 04-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by clemsonfan4life
there is a big gobbler that has been gobbling some in the mornings but i hunt the other side of my property every time i go. how can i roost the bird tonight so i can know where to set up in the morning?
Ahhh ummm i dont get it,hunt the
other side of your property?
Old 04-11-2010, 02:43 AM
Typical Buck

I go find them froma distance and watch them physically fly up in the tree. Then make my plan from there.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

A loud coyote howler, I use a horn howler, early evening, when they're already on roost, will make them shock gobble nearly every time, even from 1/4 mile away.