Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Difference between turkey load and std lead? >

Difference between turkey load and std lead?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Difference between turkey load and std lead?

Old 04-09-2010, 03:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default Difference between turkey load and std lead?

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between a standard 3 inch magnum lead shot shell in #6 vs. a mag turkey load in #6? Will these shells have effectively the same kinetic energy/kill power and speed? One step further, Hevi is considered a densery shell with more kenetic energy and is said to be 75% denser/heavier than steel.

I guess the question is, I'm not sure i understand the differences between these shells, particurly turkey vs. std lead. aren't turkey loads filled with copper shot or is it just copper plated?
Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lead turkey loads are copper plated to resist deformation on their way through the choke tube. I don't believe that regular lead shot is plated. Turkey loads usually have a heavier load of shot as well, to put more pellets on the target. The primary value of hevi-shot is that it is harder than lead and won't deform and fly in odd directions, thus keeping in a tight pattern. Both lead and hevi-shot have more than enough energy to do the job.