Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Wow!!!  What a start to the season!! >

Wow!!! What a start to the season!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Wow!!! What a start to the season!!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default Wow!!! What a start to the season!!

Scored on my second bird of the season this morning. My son got his first yesterday and I got one on Thursday. I missed on Wednesday and had a bad experience on Tuesday with a guy shooting a bird right next to me and my boy.

Took my youngest boy this morning. We got set up before daylight and heard a tom gobble about 40 to 50 times while on the roost. (Never have I ever heard anything like that.) We had another bird closer to us that gobbled a few times, but I couldn't talk him into playing the game. About 7:45 my son decided he had enough and was sleepy to he wanted to go home. I tried to talk him into staying, but he wasn't having any of it. I took him home and got back into the woods (different area) at about 8:25. Went out on a hillside overlooking a harwood draw and creek. Got out my box call and let out a few yelps. Nothing. Few more yelps.....there he was, maybe 200yds away on the other side of the creek. So I took off, down the hill, across the creek, and got set up about 25yds away from the creek. Gave it a couple minutes to catch my breath (I'm in shape and all....ROUND) then got out the box and let out a few more yelps. Now I don't know if he was louder because he was coming or because I got closer to him, but my excitement level went up none the less. I laid the box down and waited a few minutes and called on my mouth call. GOBBLE!! I immediately answered him back with an excited cutt. BOOM GOBBLE, GOBBLE. There were 2 of them coming in. I stayed silent for a few minutes. Then gave a couple clucks. GOBBLE. Even closer this time. The brush was kinda' thick so I got my eyes peeled......there he was at about 40yds bobbin' head coming through the brush up the creek bottom into my lap. I let him get to 10yds and released the full load of 3 1/2" #5 Winchester Supreme's. He cut a back flip and didn't even quiver!! Woo Hoo!!! Team 3 is on the board again.

My wife said she's getting tired of getting woke up to the phone call saying "get the camera" LOL.

Wow!!!  What a start to the season!!-jay-s-turkeys-001.jpg

Wow!!!  What a start to the season!!-jay-s-turkeys-002.jpg
Old 03-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Spike

nice bird, congrats!
Old 03-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Spike

good story and nice bird congrats.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:39 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey Great Story there Ole Team 3 Tom Tipper!

You just wait as us northerrn guys/gals will be adding to the team Score - you just wait!

JW
Old 03-20-2010, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! I'm jealous of you guys being able to hunt so early!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Spike

Nice bird and good job.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice bird man!!!congrats
Old 03-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Nice bird!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:22 AM
Fork Horn

Love the story. As far as you son goes I think he is at the age where the deep passion is'nt in him yet. Once he gets to about 11 he will want to be there fom 6 to 3! Anyway nice story and bird. oh /btw what are the specs on that ole bird????
Old 03-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Like to see and hear about these early hunts!!! WTG!!!
But here in WNY, May 1st can't come fast enough!!! LOL!!