Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
First Gobbler of the Season >

First Gobbler of the Season

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First Gobbler of the Season

Old 03-18-2010, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default First Gobbler of the Season

Third hunt of the season was the charm this morning. Chris and I had fooled with this bird a few mornings but he had not seemed very receptive to calling. Set up near a little clearing where Chris saw him strutting the other day. He fired up at 06:35 this morning and gobbled 16 times on the limb. The 17th gobble was definately on the ground at about 07:00. He was just out of sight over a slight hill on the far side of this little woodland clearing. The whole clearing probably isn't 40 x 40 yards in size. I yelped softly to him after he was on the ground with the Woodhaven slate. Nothing. He stood just over that ridge and gobbled randomly about 16 more times. All the while I'm thinking, "if he keeps this up he's going to call up every hen in Monroe County." Miraculously I never saw a one. I yelped softly one more time and added a few soft clucks. He gobbled but he didn't exactly cut me off. But the next time he gobbled he jarred the ground he was so close to the far side of the clearing. He had to be just a few feet from being in sight. I got the 870 up and pointed in the right spot and waited and waited. Finally I reached over and raked the leaves and straw like a hen does. Not sure if that did it but within 10 seconds I saw that blue head peeking over the ridge through the trees. He had been gobbling so much it looked like it was glowing blue. LOL! I barely had to move my barrel to get on him and lowered the boom at about 40 yards. 17lbs 14oz, 9 1/2 inch beard and 3/4 inch spurs. Probably a 3 year old bird. Nice to have the first one under my belt and to christen the new 870 super mag.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Nice turkey, and great story. Like you I would have been very nervous about him gobbling up every hen in the county. Tells me the hens aren't ready to be courted yet and the gobblers will have to go find 'em. Nice situation for you while it lasts.

That supermag is also a nice looking gun. I like the way they extended the rear of the stock making it easier to hold up on your knee while sitting.

Not to nit pic, but I would age him more likely as a 2-year bird with 3/4" spurs. Obviously I can't see them in the picture though.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice job and nice bird., congrats.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go! Great story and a nice bird! That soft calling is probably what brought him in. Good job on not pouring it on him. I feel that is probably the most common mistake us hunters make.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not to nit pic, but I would age him more likely as a 2-year bird with 3/4" spurs
Certainly possible. Spurs are the best indicator. I've killed some 2 year olds with impressive beards. But despite being 3/4 inches they do come to a sharp point. It's been my experience that most two year olds spurs do not have a very sharp tip.

Last edited by Todd1700; 03-18-2010 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats you lucky SOB. Over a month here still.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good job all the way around............Congratulations !!!

I've always found that the older the bird the more "rounded" their spurs.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats you lucky SOB
If you know the young lady in your avatar photo then you and I could have a pretty good argument over who the lucky SOB is. LOL!
Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice bird Todd... Congrats..
Old 03-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Typical Buck

Way to go...I love that fan...neat and perfect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.