Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
A few blind turkey hunting questions.... >

A few blind turkey hunting questions....

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A few blind turkey hunting questions....

Old 03-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A few blind turkey hunting questions....

me and my friend are going to use a blind this year for hunting turkey and i had a few questions. for the record i have hunted turkeys once,ever.
1.can you have the windows open and they not see you inside??
2.do you have to wear black inside the blind like you do for whitetail??
3.How long before you hunt is a good time to set up your blind??(can you set it up and hunt in it 10 min later and be successful or set it up a week before like for deer?)
4.How "brushed in" does your blind have to be to be successful??

thanks!!
Old 03-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

I've used a blind for years to hunt turkeys. They are great. To answer your questions.
1) I only open the windows enough to shoot out of them. I leave the mesh covering most of the windows so I'm hidden, but I have a 360 view.
2) I just wear my camo clothes.
3) I hunt in mine as fast as I can get it set up. I've had turkeys wall right beside my blind in a matter of minutes after setting up. I don't know if you have many coons where you live, but where I'm from if you leave one out for very long the coons will have it shredded.
4) My blind is not really brushed in. I do try to sit up by a couple of trees.

Like I've said, I've had turkeys walk right beside my blind. They are great. When my kids were little we would sit in the blind and play cards while hunting.
I hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kwaldeier
1.can you have the windows open and they not see you inside??
yes sir, unlike Deer, turkey do NOT hesitate of spook to any open blind windows. Leave 'em open for unobstructed sight and shooting.

2.do you have to wear black inside the blind like you do for whitetail??
No, not at all.... as long as you are atleast wearing dark camo. You obviously want to remain as dark as possible. I actually prefer to wear Black but it's not needed.

3.How long before you hunt is a good time to set up your blind??(can you set it up and hunt in it 10 min later and be successful or set it up a week before like for deer?)
You can pop up the blind an hunt instantly. No need to have it set up in an ambus location for days. The turkey won't give it a second glance.

4.How "brushed in" does your blind have to be to be successful??
No brush required. You can set up a pop-up blind in the middle of a wide open pasture or field and with a couple decoys infront of you... the turkey will still walk right up to the blind. The only thing you need to make sure of it that they do not see YOU inside the blind.

I had our blinds out today, I'm gettin' excited about hittin' the turkey woods in a few weeks!

Old 03-16-2010, 03:45 AM
Fork Horn

Couldn't have said it better.

Gman
Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks kwaldeier for starting this thread, I had the same questions. Hey IL-cornfed, what are the names of your blinds and which do you like the most.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by onebigelk
Thanks kwaldeier for starting this thread, I had the same questions. Hey IL-cornfed, what are the names of your blinds and which do you like the most.
From left to right,

Double Bull Dark Horse, Double Bull Matrix, Ameristep Bone Collector.

My favorite is the DB Dark Horse.... especially for serious bowhunting, which is 90% of my hunting. The fact that you basically have the entire front half of the blind that opens to a full wrap shooting widow makes it awesome for seeing game early enough to get ready for the shot.... no blind spots in this hunting blind. The fabric is also a heavy duty canvas type thats as durable as anything you could want.

However, if I were only going to use a blind for GUN hunting, I'd opt for the new Bone Collector. It's loaded with features and I like their window lay-out and the shooting ports on 3 sides. I also like the addition of the entire wrap around top and mid brush loops for conditions such as deer hunting where additional cover is needed. This is the blindmy kids are wanting to hunt out of so we will put plenty hours in it fo a better review in a few weeks.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

IL-cornfed nailed it pretty good, I might add that when setting up to hunt out of the blind, try to remember to take into concideration the position of the sun. If you setup your blind with your viewing/open windows toward the sun shine, it makes it much easier for game to see you, no matter what you're wearing. This is when wearing black really helps keep you hidden.
SO, try to set up with your back toward the sun, open windows away from the sun. It'll keep the advantage of the "black hole effect" in your favor.
You will get busted if the birds are close and you move too quickly and if you make any noise in the blind, the turkeys will go on alert real quick. The closer to the blind they are, the worse sound will spook them.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Spike

For maximum effectiveness Set up in a Ghillie blind and wear a ghillie jacket or short poncho. You'll always be ready for your shot. No movement beforehand.
http://www.ghilliesandstuff.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_4/42213947_9903083.jpg
Old 03-19-2010, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way too much CRAP on top of that shotgun, How the heck would you even put a bead on a bird!!
And, those blinds above are way better for the bow hunter when turkey hunting!
Old 03-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with Howler, you just can't beat a quality pop-up blind. That way you don't even have to worry about movement or camo. Heck, we shot out last several birds while wearing jeans and a T-shirt!