Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoy's?

Old 03-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Decoy's?

Ok I have a hen decoy from last year and yesterday I bought a jake decoy..when season roll's around how would I place them to bring in other bird's?
Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 AM
Spike

I only bowhunt them but when I hunt out of the blind I put my strutting deke at about 10 yards facing directly at the blind. Then I will put my hens 1-3 yards away from the blind kind of feeding away from the strutter. The toms always come inbetween the decoys to square up to the strutter. If gun hunting, I usually place the jake / tom about 20 yards out facing me and the hens inbetween. Usually when gun hunting though I never use decoys, especially in the timber. Where I hunt if you can see them, you can shoot them.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

You can also put your decoys in the mating position, this can really get a gobbler coming in out of jealousy.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put them in your vest and keep em there!!!! LOL I dont like decoys where I hunt. To many times they shy away from them.
Good luck.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Early part of the season put them 5 ft. apart within range 30 yards or closer.
Later as Toms become wise to the decoys I don't use them at all.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Spike

I would place the hen faceing you, and jake 5yards left or right facing in the hen's direction. Depending on the time of season I would also have the jake into a mating attempt.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remember, when placing your decoys... always place them close, this will help lure in a bird as close as possible... in case he decides to hang up.

Also, remember that a Tom that comes into decoys will nearly always approach a Jake decoy from the FRONT, to face him. The same Tom will also nearly always approach a Hen from the REAR. Take advantage of this predictable approach to time you shot and/or your movements.

Good luck and good huntin'
Old 03-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

always remember to put the dekes off to the side of where you think the tom will come from not right in front of you because your less likely to get picked off because he will be focusing on the dekes