Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
I dont know what to do!!! >

I dont know what to do!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I dont know what to do!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default I dont know what to do!!!

I just shot my new 835 today and it came with an ulti-full turkey choke with a .695 constriction and it didn't shoot as well as i thought it would. I am just worried about spending 45 dollars on a new choke and having it shoot the same. Do i just say the heck with it and buy a new one? Or stick with the one i got and just have an average pattern?
Old 02-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Before you go out and buy another choke tube, Try a different brand of shell, different shot sizes, etc. At .695, I suspect it may be calibrated for hevi-shot or equivalent. Also a more open choke works well with a bigger shot size. Try #4's. Most chokes will work with one or more particular loads better than others. You just need to find that load.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Do a search on this site as well as the following site:

http://oldgobbler.com/TheForum/index.php/board,2.0.html

and start reading what works in the 835. These two sites and the information within should lead you in the right direction on choke/ load combinations that work for your gun. Rememeber that every gun shoots different, even within the same brand and model, but I'm willing to bet that your pattern can be vastly improved with a choke and load change,

Gman
Old 02-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by ek_buckmaster
I just shot my new 835 today and it came with an ulti-full turkey choke with a .695 constriction and it didn't shoot as well as i thought it would. I am just worried about spending 45 dollars on a new choke and having it shoot the same. Do i just say the heck with it and buy a new one? Or stick with the one i got and just have an average pattern?
Lead or Hevi-shot? If you are shooting lead then, honestly, you shouldn't expect a great pattern with that degree of constriction. .695 isn't that tight, even for the overbored barrel of the 835.

Below is the 40 yard pattern from my 835 with a Star Dot .676 and the Nitro 4X5X7 triplex 3.5", 2.25oz load. That is 246 pellets in the 10" circle.

I might could do better with an Indian Creek .670, but what's the point. This gun and load is lethal, let's say, way on out there.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:02 PM
Fork Horn

You make a very good point Mouthcaller, i guess i never even thought twice bout .695 being not very tight haha.. wow i kinda feel dumb now. But anyways i checked out that site gamblin and i got some ideas. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 02-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

My next question is where can i find one of the Star Dot chokes? I have been searchn the internet but can't seem to find any.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

You make a very good point Mouthcaller, i guess i never even thought twice bout .695 being not very tight haha.. wow i kinda feel dumb now. But anyways i checked out that site gamblin and i got some ideas. Thanks for the input guys!
Again I ask, lead or hevishot? If it is lead then not surprised you are not satisfied with the pattern, but that choke may actually shoot hevishot well. Something around .680 works well for hevishot from the 835. Can't help you if you are shooting lead because I quit using that several years ago for turkey.

MC
Old 02-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Ah sorry bout that. Yeah im shooting lead. I think ill keep searching for a tighter choke than my current one
Old 02-22-2010, 03:53 AM
Typical Buck

Talking

My next question is where can i find one of the Star Dot chokes? I have been searchn the internet but can't seem to find any.
They aren't sold anymore. Were previously made by a small company in Alabama and distributed through Wal Mart. The choke sold for less than $20.00, which represents one of the best bargains ever for a turkey hunter. For a limited time Preston Pittman sold them so if you ever see one of his chokes for sale it is a Star Dot.

Occasionally you see one on ebay or gunbroker.com so start checking there. Also I suggest you google search "Star Dot choke tube" and you may find one for sale on another secondary market or retailer.

I saw one on the site below for sale yesterday for $40.00. Better get it fast as I am thinking of buying it for a backup.

http://oldgobbler.com/TheForum/index.php/board,2.0.html
Old 02-22-2010, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ah sorry bout that. Yeah im shooting lead. I think ill keep searching for a tighter choke than my current one

Dude if you insist on shooting lead shot than don't expect the tight patterns that your seeing on the forums these days...

If I was you... I would go out and buy a box of Win HV #4's and I would put a turkey target up at 40 yards... if your getting at least 4-5 hits in the vitals (brain/neck vertabre) your good to go out to 40 yards... You really don't need much more than that...

If your looking for better than that then you need to switch over to Hevi shot...

Good luck on your quest for the the 10" circle pattern...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.