Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
My ups and downs of the 2009 turkey season >

My ups and downs of the 2009 turkey season

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

My ups and downs of the 2009 turkey season

Old 02-17-2010, 05:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default My ups and downs of the 2009 turkey season

On the opening morning of my season I heard very little gobbling at all. I was a little discouraged that the nearest bird i heard was around 80 acres away. I decided to just go for it all and make several loud and aggressive calls with my slate call. I heard a faint gobble after my first series from the bird that was an 80 away. I didn't think it could actually hear me, but i figured i would let some more loud yelps out and see what happens. Once again the bird answered and i knew he would be coming. I waited another minute or so as this bird is just gobbling its head off and getting somewhat closer. I made another sequence and he double gobbled. After that i set the call down and the next five minutes just listened to this bird gobbling non stop and with each gobble i could tell he was gettin closer. The next thing i knew he was on the field and 40 yards full strut. He then began to run at my pretty boy and pretty penny. I got my gun up on him and as soon as he stopped and picked up his head i let him have it. He weighed 23lbs, had 1 1/4 spurs and a 9 inch beard.

After that day i was so pumped for my next week to start. It was the last mornin of the last weekend when my luck turned. I set up on a group of 2 toms that were unresponsive to calls earlier in the week, but they like to walk and roost on the same logging road each day. I picked a spot where i had excellent cover and where i knew that they would go. A litttle after daybreak i heard them gobblign around 150 yards away and i was ready. i knew they would be coming my way and i should have a bird down within the next hour. After they continued to gobble i heard them fly down and begin heading my way. (I decided that i wouldnt call to these birds at all in fear that they would get scared of my calls.) With each passing minute i could hear the birds getting closer and before i knew it they were in view about 60 yards away. One strutting while the other was on the look out. they slowly came closer to me and came to about 40 yards and stopped behind some brush. They sat there for what seemed to be forever just strutting and looking around. They must've known something was up because the next thing i know is that one starts putting and they take off running the other way.

After that last hunt i was so upset i decided to put the gear away for the year. But even tho the season came to an end, i realized i had a very succesful season by calling in a bird(first time i ever called alone and got one) and now i like turkey hunting to the point where its basically an obsession haha. I just can't wait for this season to start and make some more memories!
Old 02-17-2010, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

haha great story i hate to say it but that close id have to send one or two their way when i saw em runnin lol but thats just me. good luck this year and congrats on a great bird!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:44 AM
Fork Horn

Good story.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by StormDogOutdoors
haha great story i hate to say it but that close id have to send one or two their way when i saw em runnin lol but thats just me. good luck this year and congrats on a great bird!
Ha yeah i know after the fact i thought i shoulda shot but i guess at the time i was in disbelief and was like wow did that really just happen? lol