Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Central Florida Turkeys - Public Land >

Central Florida Turkeys - Public Land

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Central Florida Turkeys - Public Land

Old 01-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Spike

Default Central Florida Turkeys - Public Land

Heading south for some Florida turkey action this spring with the wife. Will be hunting public land...Green Swamp East, Three Lakes, or Bull Creek. Currently planning to be there March 25th-April 2nd. I've got the license info and regs. Just need to know how to find the birds. Will also be camping. Any advice?

Last edited by White Hunter; 01-27-2010 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 PM
Spike

My first suggestion is go onto every turkey forum and read anything you can that says anything with the word Florida on it or Osceola in it If you find the right forum you will find a lot of information on Three Lakes WMA last year (me asking the same questions your asking right know). I hunted Three Lakes WMA off of road 441 last year March 20th till the 30th. And I will be going back again this year March18th through the 30th. The biggest think I will tell you right know be prepared to be hunting with a big crowd of people. Think of a fishing contest on a northern lake that’s what it is like in a Public WMA in Florida. At least its that way at Three Lakes, I am headed back to Three Lakes just because I think I know where the turkey might be. But that was last year and it was dry and this year I have been told it is wet. Send me a private message sometime and we can talk some more I have a lot of answerer to question you might have like (snakes).
Old 01-29-2010, 02:37 PM
PHA
Fork Horn

I hunted Green Swamp way back in 1988. I heard a few birds and was lucky enough to tag one. I told some friends about it who went back 2-3 times and never heard a bird.

I was like a duck out of water. I was afraid to wade in up to my crotch for fear of a gator or a snake. I heard gators and saw snakes.

I got more aggressive after a local hunter saw me and said, "Son if your boys ain't wet, you ain't gonna kill nuttin' down here. I got braver waded up to my waist to get around. (bring a GPS). It is really weird when you hear a bird after fly-down time and when you look at where the gobbling is coming from, all you see is water and no dry land. You know there's got to be land out there somewhere. You have to be able to know what is flowing water and just standing water due to rain.

I also hunted a small WMA called Upper Hillsborough. I had a bird coming in strong there and then someone who never made a peep
shot him about 50 yards in front of me - scared the hell out of me.

The Osceola is the toughest public land bird to kill. I wish you luck but be prepared to go home with tag in wallet.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by trtudick
My first suggestion is go onto every turkey forum and read anything you can that says anything with the word Florida on it or Osceola in it If you find the right forum you will find a lot of information on Three Lakes WMA last year (me asking the same questions your asking right know). I hunted Three Lakes WMA off of road 441 last year March 20th till the 30th. And I will be going back again this year March18th through the 30th. The biggest think I will tell you right know be prepared to be hunting with a big crowd of people. Think of a fishing contest on a northern lake that’s what it is like in a Public WMA in Florida. At least its that way at Three Lakes, I am headed back to Three Lakes just because I think I know where the turkey might be. But that was last year and it was dry and this year I have been told it is wet. Send me a private message sometime and we can talk some more I have a lot of answerer to question you might have like (snakes).

Aw man you gotta be pulling my leg... Public land doesent get that much hunting pressure, does it?? Like taking candy from a baby aint it???
Old 01-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
Aw man you gotta be pulling my leg... Public land doesent get that much hunting pressure, does it?? Like taking candy from a baby aint it???

I don’t know if your agreeing with me or really can’t believe it could be that bad. All the birds I ever shot except two were on public Land in Minnesota and South Dakota. So I have had hunts F----- up by other hunters before, but nothing like in Florida. And it wasn’t because people were rude or asses its just because everyone has the same idea as what is a good spot to hunt at. I knew they said that some of the public WMA in Florida get hunted hard but I hadden’t expected that much. Like one guy told me if they don’t get a Special Opportunity or Quito Permit they have no chose but fight the crowds of hunters in the public WMA. On day three I had some one shoot my decoy, I conceder my self lucky I could have been lined up with that decoy. After that I was walking for two hours to get away from the roads, and I still came on some people but not as many. But then you run into the disabled that are allowed to use there ATV’s and six wheelers. I just hope I don’t need and ATV someday. The only problem with them is they don’t stay put they just keep driving around, very annoying. I will admit it dose give a person a lot of stories and will make you a better hunter and if nothing else one pissed off hunter at times.