Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Need some help from a Texas hunter >

Need some help from a Texas hunter

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Need some help from a Texas hunter

Old 01-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need some help from a Texas hunter

I usually hunt in south Texas each season. In addition to that, I'm thinking about hunting public this season in the LBJ Grasslands. Can anyone give me some info about the place? I have maps, but that won't help a whole lot. I may be going there sometime during the week-weekend of March 13-19 to look around. It will be earlier in the week because my season in LA. opens on the 20th. I don't have a clue about the place and would like to know what areas to look for. If anyone is around there during the time period I stated and is familiar with the place, I would like to hook up with you for a couple of hours and get familiar with the place. Can anyone help me? Is it even worth trying? Are there decent huntable numbers there? I would appreciate any help.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Check out the turkey forum here:

http://www.texashuntingforum.com/

Gman
Old 01-22-2010, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info Gamblinman. After reading the threads on LBJ, I'm not so sure I want to try it. Declining turkey populations and increasing hunters doesn't sound too good to me.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:02 PM
Spike

Don't waste your time, made the trip a couple of years ago, grass was chest high, never heard a bird on the property, seen two hen tracks, 100 miles of walking, i know there are a few birds there, but it is hit really hard the first few days and everything is run off the place, plus they have a lot of horseriders riding all over the place, USE your money somewhere else
Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I may take yours and the many who agree with you on the other site's advice. I'm still going to south Texas to hunt. I just love it down there, and there are plenty of turkeys to chase. I think I'll just go back to Tennessee to hunt instead of trying LBJ.